cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice pick up for the Utes. Their fans get the chance to travel to ND and have a very fun experience. Our trip to ND was great. It would have been a great trip even if we hadn't had them scheduled at LES on a return trip.

I always find it highly amuzing the BYU fans who puff out their chests and proudly proclaim, we would never do that and then extoll the virtues of scheduling Northern Iowa at home.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

it's going to help Utah in recruiting, when they say "do you want to play on the biggest stage in college football?" whereas BYU will say, do you want to go 9-3 with the three losses being conference losses and play in the New Mexico Bowl?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #23
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
While I agree with the thought here, you're comparing apples and oranges.

Filling a schedule hole 2 years down the road and one that was dropped on you at the last minute like UNR did to BYU are two very different things.
If you think they even tried to do something like this last year when UNR dropped you are crazy. There were many big time programs that had a hole to fill and would have taken BYU at their home but BYU wanted no part of them.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #24
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
If you think they even tried to do something like this last year when UNR dropped you are crazy. There were many big time programs that had a hole to fill and would have taken BYU at their home but BYU wanted no part of them.
We will see with future scheduling whether the NIU pick was out of necessity or choice.

Some of the things I have seen is making me lean to choice, not necessity.

For instance, I hear our OOC schedule in 2013 and 2014 has Hawaii, USU and BSU on it. Yuk.

Sorry, but I feel like they are like the hot dog vendor that chooses to sell low quality hot dogs at high quality prices, because they can.

If they can fine, but don't tout yourself as the hot dog vendor with the highest integrity in the business.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #25
Flystripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
We will see with future scheduling whether the NIU pick was out of necessity or choice.

Some of the things I have seen is making me lean to choice, not necessity.

For instance, I hear our OOC schedule in 2013 and 2014 has Hawaii, USU and BSU on it. Yuk.

Sorry, but I feel like they are like the hot dog vendor that chooses to sell low quality hot dogs at high quality prices, because they can.

If they can fine, but don't tout yourself as the hot dog vendor with the highest integrity in the business.
Low quality hot dogs make me sick. What is sad is that much of the fan base will tell you that low quality hot dogs are good for you, and are exactly what you need in order to appreciate that big steak dinner you might get someday.

I say screw the hypothetical steak dinner and give me some good food now! BTW that steak dinner will taste even better someday if my tastebuds are used to some qulaity food along the way.

Look what happened to the Utes when they had steak without refining their palate, they got all drunk, tasered and the nice restaurant has not let them back in.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #26
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
And whom exactly from the BYU athletic administration did you happen to get this info from?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #27
Flystripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
And whom exactly from the BYU athletic administration did you happen to get this info from?
Well when they announced the NIU game they said they got exactly what they wanted. I believed them. Silly me. At the time somebody did an analysis (maybe Jay?) showing what teams had an opening for 1 game in 2008. Nothing that I read indicated that they even tried with any of these BCS teams.

Show me a statement that indicates that BYU at least tried to schedule a difficult team on a "one and done" basis and I will shut up about NIU.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #28
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Well when they announced the NIU game they said they got exactly what they wanted. I believed them. Silly me. At the time somebody did an analysis (maybe Jay?) showing what teams had an opening for 1 game in 2008. Nothing that I read indicated that they even tried with any of these BCS teams.

Show me a statement that indicates that BYU at least tried to schedule a difficult team on a "one and done" basis and I will shut up about NIU.
And you show me a statement where a Div I team that will do a one and done game against a Non-BCS team and I'll shut up.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #29
Flystripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
And you show me a statement where a Div I team that will do a one and done game against a Non-BCS team and I'll shut up.
Really? Look back at the first post. I wouldn't call Utah a BCS team despite 2004.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...072808aaa.html

Maybe you ment that a BCS team would not come to our home for a one and done. This is probebly true but not what I was advocating.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Really? Look back at the first post. I wouldn't call Utah a BCS team despite 2004.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...072808aaa.html

Maybe you ment that a BCS team would not come to our home for a one and done. This is probebly true but not what I was advocating.
You are completely missing my point.

With only a window of a few months, BYU couldn't even schedule a one and done with a Non-BCS Division One team.

You find me a Non-BCS Team D-I that will do a one and done against another Non-BCS D-I team and I'll shut up.

Nevada really screwed BYU in that regard.

I hate....HATE scheduling the Northern Iowa's of the world, but in this particular instance,,,scheduling a D-I AA team was really the ONLY choice they had left. I don't like it. I'm not happy about it, but that's the reality of the situation.