cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #51
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
The problem with the position that Tex is taking is that all are sinful, every one. So saying that God can't dwell in unholy temples just begs the question of what is unholy. Obviously some sin is okay or none could feel the spirit. The question is, how much? I think we could probably think of some obvious things that drive the spirit away, but I'm not at all convinced that sin precludes spiritual experiences one bit.

Saul on the road to Tarsus and Alma the younger are both good examples. I don't think that we can count on the "constant" companionship of the spirit when we know we are scoffing at God's laws. But I think that even the most sinful have some access to the spirit and I have seen God work in enough unusual ways that I don't constrain Him.

Shave my head and call me baldy if I am wonrg, but I think Tex was being sarcastic.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #52
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Shave my head and call me baldy if I am wonrg, but I think Tex was being sarcastic.
I think his post was a sarcastic reaction to the more extreme points Jay was making. At the same time, what he said is not that far off what I remember being taught in seminary, etc.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #53
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I receive revelation all the time.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #54
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think we could probably think of some obvious things that drive the spirit away, but I'm not at all convinced that sin precludes spiritual experiences one bit.
Give me an example of something that would drive the spirit away. I don't believe there is anything except one's self turning away from it or not seeking it. And the act of turning to the spirit and seeking it, immediately brings it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #55
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I think his post was a sarcastic reaction to the more extreme points Jay was making. At the same time, what he said is not that far off what I remember being taught in seminary, etc.
He was being sarcastic because he's pissed that I call him a works Pharisee. Yet he's said that same stuff in other threads in a serious way.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #56
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Holy MTC flashback!

Tune in next week when Jay Santos explains the Resurrection using a glove on his hand. Or by separating the outer plastic tube and the inner ink tube of a ball point pen.

If you register now, Jay will also explain how Satan controls the water only while you are on your mission.

Operators are standing by....
My Mission had a professional wind surfer as an AP, the MP used to take him down to the local waterway and let him do his thing, while the MP video taped the action.

When some of the other missionaries found out they about shit their pants, talk about letting the wind out of the proverbial sails with that one.

Of course we were never told by the MP that the Water was controlled by Satan, he just always instructed us to follow the rules, as they were.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #57
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I wonder if, since all time is omnipresent before God, that he is aware of an individual's many good works past, present and future, and that storage of "oil in the lamp" renders him worthy to be guided and comforted even at the points in time when he would normally seem "unworthy."

All things considered, suppose a soldier at war just saw half of his platoon murdered, and has witnessed genocide and carnage for several months, and begins acting irrationally due to all of the trauma, and his battle buddy gives him a pack of cigarettes to calm him down. Oh the horror- he breaks the word of wisdom! -I would think that God would "judge" that act differently than he would a spoiled teenager who lights up just to show Archie and Betty how cool he is.

A petty example yes, but my point is I wonder if some people are more quickly forgiven than others, and the sinner's "sins" are quickly excused and the comforter returns without a long drawn-out "soul searching" process.
I think the Lord is with you on this line of thinking

"Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Let him drink, and forget his peverty, and remember his misery no more"
Proverbs 31: 6 & 7

Pretty good advice all around. God is great.

Last edited by Taq Man; 08-22-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 AM   #58
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
I think the Lord is with you on this line of thinking

"Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Let him drink, and forget his peverty, and remember his misery no more"
Proverbs 31: 6 & 7

Pretty good advice all around. God is great.
Well sure, but we always make exceptions for people afflicted with peverty.

(I know, my making fun of a typo is irnoy rich).
Old 08-22-2008, 04:22 AM   #59
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well sure, but we always make exceptions for people afflicted with peverty.

(I know, my making fun of a typo is irnoy rich).
For the sake of continuity I won't edit it. In my defense I was three Sierra Nevada's into consoling my own peverty. Sorry.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #60
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm an easy mark sometimes.