cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Have you been to Santa Barbara lately? How do the beaches look there?
Did you see the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill? How did it look?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #52
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
No, because then the wolves would have protection.
No worries, by the time they get around to buying up SV we'll have killed all the wolves off.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #53
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Did you see the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill? How did it look?

Well, I can't find it now. SO what trade off do you accept in society? ALso, which beach were Katrina's 200,000 bbls launched upon? I assume you have some grisly photos somewhere of this localized deposit?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Well, I can't find it now. SO what trade off do you accept in society? ALso, which beach were Katrina's 200,000 bbls launched upon? I assume you have some grisly photos somewhere of this localized deposit?
No. Do you want me to find some? It's going to take me some time. So if this is just a rhetorical device, I won't bother. But if it's really important to you personally, I might be persuaded.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #55
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No. Do you want me to find some? It's going to take me some time. So if this is just a rhetorical device, I won't bother. But if it's really important to you personally, I might be persuaded.

It's nto important to me personally. I just don't think your assertion is true. IF you think it is I don't need to see photos, but some sort of evidence would be interesting to me. Either way it is not important to me.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #56
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeJerk View Post
Well played.

So surfing is the best barometer of tourism, only lame people would be bothered by tar and oil on a beach, we should all check our feet more often, and people that vacation in Carpinteria would not also vacation in Hawaii. How do you do it?
I've never said any of the things you describe.

More accurately:

1. Surfers are not going to be bothered by oil spillage offshore, unless it is in Valdez amounts
2. Everyone may be bothered by tar on their feet....but only lame people are dumb enough to not noticed it until they get back to their hotel.
3. Someone who vacations in Carpinteria likely cannot afford to go to Hawaii.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #57
TripletDaddy

Quote:
They are deceptively beautiful, but mixed in that sand is a lot of tar. Actually I don't remember getting tarred in Santa Barbara, but if there is tar in Carpinteria, there is probably tar twenty minutes up the coast. Of course filthy beaches doesn't affect tourism. Just ask TripletDaddy.
Yes, the tourists are staying away from filthy places like Santa Barbara.

Just ask people like KneeJerk who come here for a week once a year and stay in Carpinteria because they are too cheap to go up to Half Moon Bay or down to San Diego.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #58
TripletDaddy

Quote:
The original question was about whether or not oil rigs off the shore would harm tourism and the environment. You are talking about surfing, which is primarily a local sport driven by the location of good breaks (which I gather from how you describe it). What does local use have to do with tourism? You tell me. In one sentence you talk about local surfers swimming in raw sewage, and in the next line you use that fact to claim, "Tourism will not be affected at all." So tourism isn't going to be affected by high levels of raw sewage? You are insane. Everyone knows that locals are going to use what they got, including a good break flooded by raw sewage, but that isn't tourism.

When I bring up a trip to Carpinteria in which I got tarred by the spillage from a nearby oil rig, you suggest that I'm poor and ignorant ("Someone who vacations in Carpinteria likely cannot afford to go to Hawaii." & "PS how can you have tar on your foot and not "notice" until an hour later?").

It isn't wit. It isn't reason. So what have you got?
Huntington beach is highly polluted.

most crowded beach in SoCal. Check out the thousands of tourists there every summer.

Oil rigs 20 miles offshore wont stop tourism to Southern California.

And whatever amount of tar is in Carpinteria, unless you are freaking Jed Clampett, you arent the first person to discover it. Even with the abudance of hydrocarbons literally drowning the beachside pedestrians, people keep going there, too, so what else have you got?

I am interested in how you plan to go about planning your next trip. As you stated, you will consider the location of oil rigs in the future. How will that go, exactly?

"Dad, let's go to Europe!"

"Sorry, kids.....as a result of CERCLA regs in the US, many industrial companies paid a premium to have their toxic sludge dumped in various landfills in Western Europe. Also, there is still Chernobyl radiation fallout in Eastern Europe. No can do. Also, we are no longer driving through Nevada or New Mexico. And we are leaving the Wasatch front until we know the exact effects of geneva slipping into the water table and of the Chevron refinery near North Salt Lake."

"You suck, dad."

"Tell that to Karch Kiraly!"

Old 08-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #59
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When I bring up a trip to Carpinteria in which I got tarred by the spillage from a nearby oil rig,

Once again, the tar is due to natural seeps that have been there for thousands of years, not offshore oil rigs.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:27 AM   #60
MikeWaters
Demiurge

if it weren't for the ecosystems, I wouldn't care if the water and beaches in CA were 100% tar and oil.

In fact, everytime something bad happens in CA, I cheer. (short of people dying or being injured).

Screw CA, they have what's coming to them. HOpe the houses tank even further.