cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone here rented storage space before?

it's kind of a scary place. Is this just the one I frequented, or is it common for the super-poor to rent space?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
it's kind of a scary place. Is this just the one I frequented, or is it common for the super-poor to rent space?

It is high crime. There is ALWAYS a very high theft rate at ALL storage space facilities.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It is high crime. There is ALWAYS a very high theft rate at ALL storage space facilities.
I bought $4000 worth of insurance with a $100 deductible. I am more worried about my person than I am the stuff.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
creekster

Quote:
I bought $4000 worth of insurance with a $100 deductible. I am more worried about my person than I am the stuff.

Word to the wise: Your policy will probably not cover burglary that does not leave evident marks of breaking and entering. If the theft involves a cut lock replaced by a new lock (and you can't prove that) the insurance will likely not cover it.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Word to the wise: Your policy will probably not cover burglary that does not leave evident marks of breaking and entering. If the theft involves a cut lock replaced by a new lock (and you can't prove that) the insurance will likely not cover it.
public storage does place stickers on the locks. so a lock having no stickers would indicate lock has been changed.

on the other hand, they could claim you changed it yourself.

however, there is video surveillance, so you would think there would be videotape evidence of theft.

There is also some kind of alarm system as well with the roll-up doors. She said if the lock is not removed, and the thing not rolled up, alarm will go off.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

In Costa Mesa, some were renting the storage units to use as makeshift brothels.

I have to admit, I thought it was a clever idea.

Also, not uncommon to be used as a drug trade area.....lots of privacy, little chance of a cop pulling up into a gated storage space, not a lot of foot traffic, easy for lookouts to monitor ingress/egress out of one choke point.

We had a storage facility for about a year or so, but then cancelled when we realized that we should just throw most of the stuff away. Best decision we made was to toss it all.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
public storage does place stickers on the locks. so a lock having no stickers would indicate lock has been changed.

on the other hand, they could claim you changed it yourself.

however, there is video surveillance, so you would think there would be videotape evidence of theft.

There is also some kind of alarm system as well with the roll-up doors. She said if the lock is not removed, and the thing not rolled up, alarm will go off.
You are seeign ti clearly. Like I said, just a word to the wise.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I understand that a lot of the super poor live in their storage spaces, on the down low.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
I understand that a lot of the super poor live in their storage spaces, on the down low.
I don't think they can at my place.

Because they can only be locked from the outside. Someone would ahve to come and unlock you which would be kinda scary.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think they can at my place.

Because they can only be locked from the outside. Someone would ahve to come and unlock you which would be kinda scary.
I don't know the particulars, that's just what I was told by the guy behind the desk last time I had cause to rent a storage space. I think I might have read an article about people living in those spaces and that's why I had asked.