cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
The funniest part about all of this is that Palin scares the holy shiz out of libs, but they can't admit it. This entire campaign was supposed to be a foregone conclusion once Obama got past Hillary, especially given the foul mood of the country. Then along comes a nice looking, straight shooting woman from a state that's usually so irrelevant it can't even be considered a flyover state, and screws it all up.

I fully planned on sitting this one out. I'm not a huge McCain fan. But after seeing how Palin has been treated by the media and the outrageous double standard that exists amongst the left, I'm pissed. Obama can thank his media buddies for bringing a dormant Republican base back to life. Obama/Biden are now going to be forced to play their hand because of Palin's unapologetic conservatism. They have to provide a stark alternative, which is unapologetic liberalism, and unfortunately for them, it always loses.
I am diametrically opposed to Obama on almost all fronts.

I oppose his desire to construct another federal bureaucracy on health care.

I oppose his general direction on health care.

I oppose infanticide, but am generally more tolerant of the abortion debate than most. Yet Obama's Illinois record on this issue is embarrassing. He took money from abortion doctors voting to kill infants sustainable after the abortion failed. That is probably the most extreme abortion position which I've ever heard of.

I oppose his drastic taxation schemes. I oppose his desire to secretly raise the payroll taxes, to increase the capital gains tax and to generally drain business of capital and access to capital. He will conduct a war against business which will devastate our economy.

I oppose immediate withdrawal from Iraq, even though the decision to enter Iraq was wrong.

I oppose his failure to reduce spending on anything but the military. I do favor a more balanced budget focusing upon reduced domestic spending, less handouts to foreign nations

I'm not in favor of the current devaluation of the dollar, but his proposals are diametrically opposed to what I favor, i.e., just increase taxes to decrease bonds issued, is not the answer. We need to increase production, productivity and saleability of our products. Infrastructure needs improvement.

I am in favor of reasonable exploration for oil, drilling in ANWAR. Just blocking access to domestic oil is not the answer.

I am in favor of alternative fuels, including NUCLEAR power. The left invariably opposes reasonable regulations to allow nuclear power, even though it can free our reliance upon foreign oil.

In general, I cannot think of a single major policy which comports with my beliefs.

McCain Palin is not the Republican ticket I would have selected but it has a few of the policies I favor, whereas Obama has none. Hence the choice is easy. McCain is not my first presidential choice and Palin is not my first VP choice.

Obama is too radical, and Biden has really few redeeming qualities, which lack thereof he exposed during the Bork hearings.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-04-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #22
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I diametrically opposed to Obama on almost all fronts.
You're right. And the more I've thought about it the past couple of days, my apathy over this election until now embarrases me. Never again.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #23
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
here's what I really thought:

She's got this cool evangelical middle-class charisma thing going on that people are clearly drawn to. But she's also got this newscaster perfect-hair over-rehearsed not-entirely-genuine thing going on.

She's like the love child of Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney.
I was very interested last night to hear Campbell Brown on a CNN panel saying that she had found Palin appealing on an emotional level, particularly on the issue of special needs kids and as she saw her up there with her family. Brown is not someone I like particularly (other than that I think she is quite attractive) because her liberalism is a bit too much on her sleeve to me. But she genuinely seemed taken with Palin last night.

I wonder if she has some extra-political appeal that mostly women pick up on.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

Mike seems to like her quite a bit.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #25
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
She's certainly doing best among GOP women. I suspect after last night we'll see a surge among most groups. But I'm hearing more and more conservative women on the boards voice concern about the role of her kids in all this. Even my mom, who's as crimson and evangelical as they come and a huge Sarah fan, is becoming uncomfortable. I wonder if we'll see an adjustment.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am not asking you to vote FOR Obama. I am asking how in good conscience anyone can actually stand up and support McCain-Palin right now.
Can't you get it through your head that she ran a state? It's a much smaller scale than running the country, but good hell man, she has executive experience that Obama lacks.

Your listed qualifications for Obama to run the country look good if he's trying to get a job at a prestigious law firm, but in now way makes him qualified to run the country, let alone a state. Or a city.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #27
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Can't you get it through your head that she ran a state?
But it's a state full of uneducated yokels who shoot animals and wear fur lined coats, so it doesn't really count.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
But it's a state full of uneducated yokels who shoot animals and wear fur lined coats, so it doesn't really count.
True, true. I really hadn't considered that.

Then again, it worked for Bill Clinton, didn't it?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
She has for 18 months. Is Jesse Ventura qualified to be president? He ran a state bigger than Alaska. How about Arnold? How do you think Carter did after being president of Georgia? How about Bush after being governor of Texas?

You keep wanting to say that the discussion should just stop after knowing that she is governor. How can you even think that is a reasonable position? WHAT ARE HER BELIEFS? That is infinitely more important to me than whether or not she has been governor in Alaska for less than 2 years.
None of these are qualified.

Obama has NO executive experience (yeah I've read your rebuttal, not very persuasive and one reason I though Mitt was a better candidate). Of course McCain doesn't but he's OLD, so that must count for something.

So it's laughable to hear us debating which is the least unqualified for the job.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #30
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Then again, it worked for Bill Clinton, didn't it?
No fur coats in Arkansas. Too humid.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote