cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I think what Mr. I'm-Writing-the-Next-Great-American-Novel meant to say is, "contraction," not "conjuction." A conjuction is a word that connects two words or phrases together (e.g., and). A contraction is a combination of two words into one. I think Mr. I-Know-Exactly-What-Tolstoy-Tried-To-Write-But-He-Failed-And-I-Can-Do-It-Better was referring to your "reason's" contraction of "reason" and "is."

Hence, your confusion at his use of "conjunction" was entirely proper. But I could't let it go without a reference to one of my favore School House Rock Songs "Conjunction Junction."
No, I meant conjunction.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hence, your confusion at his use of "conjunction" was entirely proper. But I could't let it go without a reference to one of my favre School House Rock Songs "Conjunction Junction."
I was actually going to cite Conjuction Junction as evidence that I could not have possibly made an error in the conjoining regard. But I didn't figure someone like our esteemed Seattle would recognize such a plebeian reference.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
baloney. Cardiac was the one who wants to "keep the reasons to [him]self." I was just agreeing with him. It's an Obama thing. Telepathy.
And you've been using the word 'baloney' a lot more. What's happened to you?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
baloney. Cardiac was the one who wants to "keep the reasons to [him]self." I was just agreeing with him. It's an Obama thing. Telepathy.
Yep -- Barb knows exactly what my reason is and I didn't even have to explain it. Must be telepathy.

On the other hand, I think Virginia is definitely in play for Obama and if he wins Virginia he wins the election.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
And you've been using the word 'baloney' a lot more. What's happened to you?
I'm also trying to employ y'all more often. Obama said he wants us to play down the elitism thing so we will seem more like moose-hunting regular people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Yep -- Barb knows exactly what my reason is and I didn't even have to explain it. Must be telepathy.
Barb?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #16
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No, I meant conjunction.
That means we're still confused. What's your explanation.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
That means we're still confused. What's your explanation.
I don't think Florida and New Mexico have much in common. If the point is that Hispanics are inherently racist (something that's been suggested here before and I tend to reject for lack of information, but also categorically reject on principle), the double infraction is being committed by equating Florida's predominant Hispanics with New Mexico's. Their respective heritages and socio economics and traditional politics couldn't be more different.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #18
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I the double infraction is being committed by equating Florida's predominant Hispanics with New Mexico's. Their respective heritages and socio economics and traditional politics couldn't be more different.
I agree.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #19
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
I don't think Florida and New Mexico have much in common. If the point is that Hispanics are inherently racist (something that's been suggested here before and I tend to reject for lack of information, but also categorically reject on principle), the double infraction is being committed by equating Florida's predominant Hispanics with New Mexico's. Their respective heritages and socio economics and traditional politics couldn't be more different.
Interesting.

Setting aside respective heritage and socio-economics as, in the Democratic primaries in each of California, New Mexico, Texas, and California, Obama won between 31-33% of the Latino vote. That's a statistically insignificant difference.

Obviously the data among the various state primaries are not entirely comparable, due to any number of variables, but the data still give us at least a rough sense of the sentiment in each state.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #20
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

To win Florida, McCain need only announce that Shuffleboard will be the new Great American Pastime, and that in his White House no central air conditioning will ever be turned on, dinner will be served at 4, and everyone will be in bed by 8. Election over.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote