cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Cali, maybe you got your wish

You wanted thousands of people murdered in cold blood and thrown in dungeons during the Olympics just for your personal etertainment. (You even said the 1972 Olympics would have been so much fun for you.)

Now you've been hoping for calamity, apocalypse just to give your candidate a better chance at winning the presidential election.

You must be pleased about venerable financial institutions collapsing overnight, thousands of people suddenly out of work. The biggest financial clamity since the great deression must send you into an orgasmic swoon. All those foreclosures that are the underlying problem, thousands of people homeless, must be a delight to you. You're a POS.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Good reminder.

Cali has more pull with nature than I would have imagined. Obama being the President during the next Great Depression gives me little comfort though.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Good reminder.

Cali has more pull with nature than I would have imagined. Obama being the President during the next Great Depression gives me little comfort though.
Pres. Obama won't be so bad. We will always have his soaring rhetoric to fall back on.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Pres. Obama won't be so bad. We will always have his soaring rhetoric to fall back on.
I suppose Obama changing us into a third world country is change, not what I had in mind, but it is change.

Nationalizing industries, becoming part of the European Union as a junior member, eliminating capital, boy I can hardly wait.

Ask not how our country can capitulate....
Old 09-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can't wait til he inspires us all with a happy rendition of "Tomorrow," just like FDR used to sing.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking foward to huddling with the kids around our emergency crank-powered radio, listening to President Obama comfort us as we see women with starving children wandering and begging on the streets, zoos emptied, the animals killed for food, burned out homes, empty stores, fallen power lines that present no danger because there is no power, roaming murderous gangs.

At least we will have the radio programs.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You wanted thousands of people murdered in cold blood and thrown in dungeons during the Olympics just for your personal etertainment. (You even said the 1972 Olympics would have been so much fun for you.)

Now you've been hoping for calamity, apocalypse just to give your candidate a better chance at winning the presidential election.

You must be pleased about venerable financial institutions collapsing overnight, thousands of people suddenly out of work. The biggest financial clamity since the great deression must send you into an orgasmic swoon. All those foreclosures that are the underlying problem, thousands of people homeless, must be a delight to you. You're a POS.
I learned a small lesson during the whole Crowton era at BYU and through the sentiments of folks on CB. There were the pro-Crowton people and the anti-Crowton people. The pro-Crowton people didn't care so much about the health of the football program, they just wanted Crowton to do well enough to keep his job. Pretty soon, they were trying to talk people into thinking that a 6-5 season in the 2004 season with "all of the youth and inexperience" would mean Crowton was some young Joe Paterno.

A 6-5 season was still mediocre in the Mountain West and didn't prove a damn thing of course. It would only mean that BYU was young and inexperienced for three years in a row. So basically it got to the point where Pro-Crowton people would rather feel that they were right and accept the accompanying mediocrity than support the action that needed to be done- get rid of Crowton and make a go at it with another coach. Formerly optimistic fans turned into "realist" fans that resigned themselves to the fact that BYU just really wasn't meant to be good in today's game and LaVell's success between the late 70s to the mid 90s was just an aberation. And all because of their undying support of Crowton produced out of endless argument on an internet message board. They dug in their heels and they wanted to be right at all costs.

So suppose you've been sudduced by the University idealism that Obama represents. Obama is then exposed as all hat and no cattle by a combination of gaffes, hubris and an effective GOP campaign against him. There's no legislative achievement, no indication that he'll "clean house" which is so badly needed, and his only qualifications appear to be that he was the editor for the Harvard Law Review and that he's damned good with a teleprompter. Worse yet, Obama has ties to the type of people that represent both corruption and the type of radicalism that will be bad for this country. If these ideas were implemented it would be possibly extremely damaging for this country.

The "flyover" people, the bedrock morality compass of this country (and I'm not talking about social values, I'm talking about basic values of how to honestly run a business, government, etc) start worrying about the charismatic man with the teleprompter. He seems like an elitist, and they don't like elitists. All of a sudden McCain rises from the ashes in a year that should be a grand slam for the Democrats due to the complete cluster**** that has been the Bush Presidency.

A financial disaster on Wall Street, the scope of which has maybe been seen only once since the Great Depression occurs. It will undeniably be a bump for your guy. The economy may be in shambles, for years perhaps, but you're right on Obama and he wins. The greater good suffers and it vaults your guy into office- but your guy has won and you're right and that is of paramount importance. He appears to be Jimmy Carte version 2.0, but who the hell cares, it's fun to be on the side of a winner.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm looking foward to huddling with the kids around our emergency crank-powered radio, listening to President Obama comfort us as we see women with starving children wandering and begging on the streets, zoos emptied, the animals killed for food, burned out homes, empty stores, fallen power lines that present no danger because there is no power, roaming murderous gangs.

At least we will have the radio programs.
You're still no match for Cormac McCarthy, although it was a good effort.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Ends justify the means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Good reminder.

The more bloodshed in Iraq. Better for the Dems and their theme of 'we already lost the war'.

More disaster on Wall Street. "Good."

More people losing their homes. "Good. It will piss off enough people to vote us into office." But in the meantime we'll give first time buyers a $7500 tax credit to get into a home. They can pay back the $7500 over the next few years interest free. So the interest is free, but not the $7500 (hidden very well from the dumb populace). Let's make it easier for those who don't have the money to get even further into debt, but this time to the US Government.

Lower home prices. "Good". It will piss off even more voters.

Pretty soon they will have millions of pissed off (and wet) voters voting for them. The more pain and agony, the better.

Last edited by exUte; 09-18-2008 at 04:43 PM.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote