cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Utah and BYU shouldn't play Utah Sate or Weber

There's only downside and no up. Neither Utah or BYU is a charity. They certainly shouldn't have to play on the road, and certainly not every year.

I know, this is not new, but it's a truism.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
There's only downside and no up. Neither Utah or BYU is a charity. They certainly shouldn't have to play on the road, and certainly not every year.

I might be OK with Utah State every year--but only at home, never on the road. Pay them whatever and give them a home and home every year in basketball like we used to do. If they don't go for it, too bad for them.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm betting the Board of Regents at BYU had something to do with this bailout of Utah State. We know who populates of the Board.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. I am now on the hate playing Utah State bandwagon, though at one time I liked the game. That was before I knew how nice it felt to beat UCLA and Washington in a season.

IPU thinks that not wanting to play Utah State is an indicator of fear. I disagree with his logic.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I wonder if there is any state requirement for Utah and USU to play every year. It seems like I've heard similar things from other states, although I can't remember the example.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'd rather have USU on the schedule than a 1-AA team. That's what they're replacing. This year we have both, which makes no sense to me.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I wonder if there is any state requirement for Utah and USU to play every year. It seems like I've heard similar things from other states, although I can't remember the example.
I've read on utefans before that there was pressure on Utah to play USU, who knows if it is true or not though.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post

I don't know if there is a requirement, but I know several legislators that really want them to play. Otherwise, Utah could not have canceled the USU game to add Notre Dame.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
I don't know if there is a requirement, but I know several legislators that really want them to play. Otherwise, Utah could not have canceled the USU game to add Notre Dame.
It's good practice for the U to play USU. State Sen Lyle Hillyard is from Logan and the chair of the Appopriations Cmmte and former chair of the Higher Ed Approp Subcmmte. Vice-chair Pete Knudsen also represents the Cache County area. Not that it would or should really affect funding, but it's still good politics.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mind playing USU on the "road." It's an easy road victory and gives the Utes a chance to get two quality home non-conference games...or at least not games that are USU (or Weber this year).
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote