cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you're just pissed because I am drinking from your shake.
I'm a man of the people, brother. I'd be the first person to buy you lunch. I have no moral qualms with this market bailout because I dont view this as a moral issue.

Like we learned in the Godfather....it's not personal. It's business.

Well, rather then clinging doggedly to this "teach them all a lesson" mentality, let's just fix this mess and move on. Throw people in jail if you want, no problem. Suing Kenneth Lay did not and will not stop corporate malfeasance, but it soothes the stupid masses. Likewise, with no bailout, what is it that we learn? Loads of people lose their home, thousands of innocent people lost their jobs, the economy sucks for everyone, credit tightens, raises suck, etc..and there is a general malaise over consumer confidence. What fun is that?

I just get a kick out of your limited and inexperienced economic view. Whether the economy tanks or not, you will still be sitting in your office on campus, wearing your white coat, hoping your patients have insurance. You have no revenue goals. You arent in charge of clients' money, investments, companies, etc. You don't do deals. Other than maybe your 401K and some mutal funds, you likely have zero direct contact with anything on Wall Street.

This doesnt make you a bad person. Just makes your opinions on the matter somewhat ridiculous.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I'm a man of the people, brother. I'd be the first person to buy you lunch. I have no moral qualms with this market bailout because I dont view this as a moral issue.

Like we learned in the Godfather....it's not personal. It's business.

Well, rather then clinging doggedly to this "teach them all a lesson" mentality, let's just fix this mess and move on. Throw people in jail if you want, no problem. Suing Kenneth Lay did not and will not stop corporate malfeasance, but it soothes the stupid masses. Likewise, with no bailout, what is it that we learn? Loads of people lose their home, thousands of innocent people lost their jobs, the economy sucks for everyone, credit tightens, raises suck, etc..and there is a general malaise over consumer confidence. What fun is that?

I just get a kick out of your limited and inexperienced economic view. Whether the economy tanks or not, you will still be sitting in your office on campus, wearing your white coat, hoping your patients have insurance. You have no revenue goals. You arent in charge of clients' money, investments, companies, etc. You don't do deals. Other than maybe your 401K and some mutal funds, you likely have zero direct contact with anything on Wall Street.

This doesnt make you a bad person. Just makes your opinions on the matter somewhat ridiculous.
Look man, you are only interested in the status quo. You aren't interested in the thousands of people who are SHUT OUT of homes because they are too expensive by factors of 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.

I'm worried about a system that never lets a bad business go out of business, and doesn't let the good businesses succeed. People suffering has nothing to do with the presence or absence of a bailout. It has to do with a pack of lies that we are told can magically be bought at little to no price, with little or no effect. It's another lie.

A surgeon has to decide whether a limb is worth preserving. Of course we want to preserve it, but not at the cost of the entire body. If gangrene sets in, the whole person can die. Sometimes it must be cut off. Now this analogy goes both ways---maybe the bailout is the amputation, maybe letting nature takes its course is the amputation.

But if you think I should believe that the PILE OF SHIT that has just been fed to me by the pro-bailout politicians is GOD'S TRUTH, you are an idiot. You can pretend that I am just naive and uncaring or whatever. But I know a simple law--when you reward bad behavior, you get MORE OF IT. And that is what we call a MORAL HAZARD. THERE IS NO EASY WAY OUT HERE. So sit your everybody-is-a-winner ass down and shut your mouth.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:11 AM   #13
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Look man, you are only interested in the status quo. You aren't interested in the thousands of people who are SHUT OUT of homes because they are too expensive by factors of 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.

I'm worried about a system that never lets a bad business go out of business, and doesn't let the good businesses succeed. People suffering has nothing to do with the presence or absence of a bailout. It has to do with a pack of lies that we are told can magically be bought at little to no price, with little or no effect. It's another lie.

A surgeon has to decide whether a limb is worth preserving. Of course we want to preserve it, but not at the cost of the entire body. If gangrene sets in, the whole person can die. Sometimes it must be cut off. Now this analogy goes both ways---maybe the bailout is the amputation, maybe letting nature takes its course is the amputation.

But if you think I should believe that the PILE OF SHIT that has just been fed to me by the pro-bailout politicians is GOD'S TRUTH, you are an idiot. You can pretend that I am just naive and uncaring or whatever. But I know a simple law--when you reward bad behavior, you get MORE OF IT. And that is what we call a MORAL HAZARD. THERE IS NO EASY WAY OUT HERE. So sit your everybody-is-a-winner ass down and shut your mouth.
Pretending to be a surgeon?

Look, I have 3 kids and no yard. Of course I am against overpriced housing. I think I am in tune with overpriced housing.

You are using hyperbole. To rage against a system that "never" lets a bad business fail.....are you going for an Oscar or an Emmy there? Businesses fail all the time. What we are seeing right now is an unprecedented collapse, brought on by multiple factors.

To sit back and "let the market" take care of things....what the hell does that even mean? the dam is leaking and you are saying to let gravity take its course...eventually all the water will drain and the dam wont leak anymore....meanwhile, the village is flooded and everyone is dead.

I agree that we do not want to reward bad behavior, but as it pertains to the Gospel,....well, arent we all beggars of God? Your bad behavior on this site alone merits a lifetime worth of supplication, yet I don't want to see you burn in hell.

And that is the truth. If God came to me and said, "DDD, do you want mikewaters to burn in hell? He says "gook" and the f-word and the n-word and he teases people, he likes the Dallas Cowboys, he sits around all day eating shipley's donuts.....should I toss him into the furnace?"

I would say, "No. please don't. mikewaters is rad. please don't burn him in hell."

I really would.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Pretending to be a surgeon?

Look, I have 3 kids and no yard. Of course I am against overpriced housing. I think I am in tune with overpriced housing.

You are using hyperbole. To rage against a system that "never" lets a bad business fail.....are you going for an Oscar or an Emmy there? Businesses fail all the time. What we are seeing right now is an unprecedented collapse, brought on by multiple factors.

To sit back and "let the market" take care of things....what the hell does that even mean? the dam is leaking and you are saying to let gravity take its course...eventually all the water will drain and the dam wont leak anymore....meanwhile, the village is flooded and everyone is dead.

I agree that we do not want to reward bad behavior, but as it pertains to the Gospel,....well, arent we all beggars of God? Your bad behavior on this site alone merits a lifetime worth of supplication, yet I don't want to see you burn in hell.

And that is the truth. If God came to me and said, "DDD, do you want mikewaters to burn in hell? He says "gook" and the f-word and the n-word and he teases people, he likes the Dallas Cowboys, he sits around all day eating shipley's donuts.....should I toss him into the furnace?"

I would say, "No. please don't. mikewaters is rad. please don't burn him in hell."

I really would.
good banks will take over the bad banks. With the govt. playing intermediary for those banks that fail.

What you want to do is prevent the bad banks from failing.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #15
TripletDaddy

Quote:
good banks will take over the bad banks. With the govt. playing intermediary for those banks that fail.

What you want to do is prevent the bad banks from failing.
Sweet. Now we can all bank at Bailey Building & Loan instead of giving money to that mean old Mr Potter.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What's insulting is how people favoring the bail out assume they are the hard headed, amoral, smart people, and the opponents are just a bunch of angry, jealous nuts. Just look at the NY Times editorial page and see works like "nihilists" and "mad men" in the headlines.

Not true. If you look you can see a lot of responsible money and industry people and academics opposing it. Even Hillary says she has to hold her nose.

But this is par for the course. For DDD, the position to support is always the one he regards as the cool one. Cool is his first criterion. Right now, it's cool to support a bail out. So 3D is for it. But a majority of Americans don't support it, and a hell of a lot of the elite, non-members of the masses do to. We opponents are not voices in the wilderness. We're in the wise center.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Let me add, however, that the news pages (as opposed to the editorial pages) of the Times have been reporting many illuminating details. The Times maybe should get a Pulitzer for this.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #18
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I'm less worried about the money than I am about the government inserting itself too much into the market. Also, the huge transfer of power to the Treasury Secretary.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:03 AM   #19
SeattleUte

This "I don't have a yard" complaint seems artificial to me. I wonder how big is his balcony or his kitchen?

—Paul Auster
Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This "I don't have a yard" complaint seems artificial to me. I wonder how big is his balcony or his kitchen?
let's be much more direct. WHat is value of your home?