cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
It is all true.
Hmmm.

How much is kevlar?
Old 10-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hmmm.

How much is kevlar?
300 used.

(emergency preparedness).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 10-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

So basically, two people played some chess. One person lost. That person is a bit of a sore loser, so he wants a rematch.

Shocking.

I don't envy your position, but somehow I think you manage to survive.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm the faculty advisor for the school's chess club. We have a nice, friendly club and haven't had any problems. Until last night, that is.

As advisor I play fewer games than the students do. After all, it's their club and I'm just there to help. I give group lessons to the less experienced players and play at a board whenever there's an odd number of people.

I am yet to lose a game at the club, and have, despite my casual manner, become the person to beat. Last night I got roped into a bit of a circus stunt: I played two games simultaneously against our 2nd and 4th board players. I won both games, but immediately afterward an observer threw down the gauntlet.

It felt like I was at a bar in Big Whiskey, Wyoming, circa 1868, and he wanted to see how fast I was on the draw. He told me he was a transfer student from a university where he had been the captain of the chess team.

He played a nice Queen's Indian and will beat our current 1st board player probably 9 out of 10 tries. I beat him, though, by pretending to hang a knight on the 32nd move. When he took it I checked his king that had aggressively, but not all-together soundly, castled queenside and had a mate in 3. He resigned in a huff.

He was really hacked off. Our friendly chess club was disturbed by posturing and invective like never before. And now, this morning, he's e-mailing the club about how he's going to "take me down," and that he's "serving notice" of an "A** whipping."

I'd love for the guy to play as he's our best player. Truthfully, he'll probably beat me about 40% of the time. We'll be playing a round robin match against another school in a few weeks and he'll be great. But he's toxic in that hyper-competitive chess dork way and could ruin the friendly, fun atmosphere of the club and I feel like I've become part of the problem. I stepped on his ego.

What should I do?
Beat him soundly every time you can. Show no mercy.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I see a movie coming out of all of this. SIEQ is John Kreese and this young up and comer is Johnny Lawrence.

SIEQ: What do we study here?
Chess Club: THE WAY OF THE FIST SIR.
SIEQ: And what is that way?
Chess Club: STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY SIR.
SIEQ: I can't hear you.
Chess Club: STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY SIR.

See if you can turn his anger toward a more appropriate target Q. Perhaps a scrawny Italian kid from Jersey who is just trying to find his way on a new campus and who dares to dream of dating crazywrestlerchess guy's girl.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 10-09-2008 at 07:35 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, I finally figured out that Brian's avatar has a horse in it. I thought it was a little girl peaking out from behind some jeans.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm the faculty advisor for the school's chess club. We have a nice, friendly club and haven't had any problems. Until last night, that is.

As advisor I play fewer games than the students do. After all, it's their club and I'm just there to help. I give group lessons to the less experienced players and play at a board whenever there's an odd number of people.

I am yet to lose a game at the club, and have, despite my casual manner, become the person to beat. Last night I got roped into a bit of a circus stunt: I played two games simultaneously against our 2nd and 4th board players. I won both games, but immediately afterward an observer threw down the gauntlet.

It felt like I was at a bar in Big Whiskey, Wyoming, circa 1868, and he wanted to see how fast I was on the draw. He told me he was a transfer student from a university where he had been the captain of the chess team.

He played a nice Queen's Indian and will beat our current 1st board player probably 9 out of 10 tries. I beat him, though, by pretending to hang a knight on the 32nd move. When he took it I checked his king that had aggressively, but not all-together soundly, castled queenside and had a mate in 3. He resigned in a huff.

He was really hacked off. Our friendly chess club was disturbed by posturing and invective like never before. And now, this morning, he's e-mailing the club about how he's going to "take me down," and that he's "serving notice" of an "A** whipping."

I'd love for the guy to play as he's our best player. Truthfully, he'll probably beat me about 40% of the time. We'll be playing a round robin match against another school in a few weeks and he'll be great. But he's toxic in that hyper-competitive chess dork way and could ruin the friendly, fun atmosphere of the club and I feel like I've become part of the problem. I stepped on his ego.

What should I do?
Obviously, I don't know the entire situation, but here's my gut reaction:

Arrange a private meeting with him where you can resurrect his ego. Tell him how impressed you are with his skills, how you're hoping he'll step up to be a leader on this team, that you hope you can depend on him to help you teach some of the younger players, etc. When the club meets again, if he's aggressive or disrespectful, use your towering physique and even more towering intellect to gently assert your dominance.

But don't ever agree to play him again. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
LOL, I finally figured out that Brian's avatar has a horse in it. I thought it was a little girl peaking out from behind some jeans.
Looks like a large clitoris to me.

Hey, you never know.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote