cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Too ugly for a mission, even. Whew.
You can always put lipstick on a pig.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
This is your take on the matter? Has that always been so? I guess I was under the impression that in the past the level of "encouragement" wasn't quite so high as it is now. And can't men go on to hold, use, develop, or whetever else with their priesthood regardless of whether they serve a mission?
For those called the pressure was the same. The difference is that now all are called to serve. Back in the old days one was only called if and when your name was read at some level of conference.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #23
beelzebabette

beelzebabette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Men are encouraged ... nay, commanded ... to go because it's part of a priesthood responsibility to preach the gospel. Women are not under the same commandment because they do not hold the priesthood.
If we're talking doctrinally, the "option" to serve seems to be in line with the counsel to get an education and be prepared to support a family should a calamity arise, to have a family, and to stay home with that family. There's only so many young adult years.

The clarification that there is no obligation but it's an option if they "very much wish to go" made sense even without the priesthood-obligation bit.
beelzebabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #24
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I put tremendous pressure on my sons to prepare for a mission.

I tell my daughters it's not a bad thing to do if you get to age 21 and it seems like the right thing to do.

Probably sexist, I know. Sorry.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #25
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

This was my wife's experience at BYU. She decided she wanted to serve a mission and so she went to her university ward bishop. While interviewing her he asked he point blank. "Are you sure you want to go? Isn't there anyone you could marry instead?" I think you should come back in 6 months after you have tried really hard to get married."

Wife said ok. She went home, got an interview from her home ward bishop and served a mission in Russia despite being "good looking enough" to get married.

Just an anecdote
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
This was my wife's experience at BYU. She decided she wanted to serve a mission and so she went to her university ward bishop. While interviewing her he asked he point blank. "Are you sure you want to go? Isn't there anyone you could marry instead?" I think you should come back in 6 months after you have tried really hard to get married."

Wife said ok. She went home, got an interview from her home ward bishop and served a mission in Russia despite being "good looking enough" to get married.

Just an anecdote
I definitely realize that there are hot-toddies out there in the mission field, stumpin for the cause.

My point is that to assert that there is no validity to the notion that homeliness and lack of marital options does not play into the decision for many of these hermanas.....well, now that it dishonest. It isn't total nonsense to assert that. It may be unfortunate, but it is reality.

I was lucky on my mission. ZERO attractive sisters.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebabette View Post
If we're talking doctrinally, the "option" to serve seems to be in line with the counsel to get an education and be prepared to support a family should a calamity arise, to have a family, and to stay home with that family. There's only so many young adult years.

The clarification that there is no obligation but it's an option if they "very much wish to go" made sense even without the priesthood-obligation bit.
Well, that's where it comes from. I'm glad it makes sense anyway.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #28
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
redheadgal.

keep your dupes straight, sucka.

Charlie Trotters....lol!
I don't really understand this comment, but I think you unfairly reduce my persona down to Charlie Trotters. I've only eaten there once, and I've been to the Inn at LW a half dozen times. But then I do have an abiding love for Chicago. . . I'm getting distracted. (by my own beauty?)
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote