cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Various thoughts

1. In some ways I'm OK with the game. I think the false confidence we've had for 1 1/2 seasons now has done us more harm than suffering the loss has.

2. Last year we were probably about #25. This year we're probably about the same. Offense a little better, defense worse.

3. Defense needs a major infusion of speed and talent.

4. Hall's weaknesses were really exposed. Locking on to primary receiver and lack of arm strength to zip it in. With his physical limitations, he's probably about maxed out. Which doesn't mean he's bad, it just means we need to temper our expectations.

5. Weak schedule really hurts us in a lot of areas. One is overconfidence. Playing tough games week in and week out forces you to improve. Exposes your weaknesses. Makes you more hungry in every aspect: strategy, practice workouts, offseason workouts, recruiting, etc.

6. I disagree with the point about Bronco's teams not playing with emotion. Emotion's overrated.

7. I was really disappointed with OL play. I really thought that was an area we had superior talent.

8. Obviously with BYU only falling to where they did and TCU at #14 in the BCS with one loss, it should put to rest all the idiot clamoring about how a non-BCS has to be undefeated to make BCS.

9. We still have a theoretical (very small) shot at the BCS but that's the last thing we want. This team is not good enough.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
1. In some ways I'm OK with the game. I think the false confidence we've had for 1 1/2 seasons now has done us more harm than suffering the loss has.

2. Last year we were probably about #25. This year we're probably about the same. Offense a little better, defense worse.

3. Defense needs a major infusion of speed and talent.

4. Hall's weaknesses were really exposed. Locking on to primary receiver and lack of arm strength to zip it in. With his physical limitations, he's probably about maxed out. Which doesn't mean he's bad, it just means we need to temper our expectations.

5. Weak schedule really hurts us in a lot of areas. One is overconfidence. Playing tough games week in and week out forces you to improve. Exposes your weaknesses. Makes you more hungry in every aspect: strategy, practice workouts, offseason workouts, recruiting, etc.

6. I disagree with the point about Bronco's teams not playing with emotion. Emotion's overrated.

7. I was really disappointed with OL play. I really thought that was an area we had superior talent.

8. Obviously with BYU only falling to where they did and TCU at #14 in the BCS with one loss, it should put to rest all the idiot clamoring about how a non-BCS has to be undefeated to make BCS.

9. We still have a theoretical (very small) shot at the BCS but that's the last thing we want. This team is not good enough.
This team is the worst of the last three. Defense has really dropped in quality, and Hall doesn't check off well enough.

I doubt BYU beats Utah this year so it's really a dismal year but hopefully we can still recruit some defensive speed to make up for a very crappy defense.