cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

It's simple: Follow the I-AA Playoff model.

End of discussion.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Seedings look like this:

1. Texas v Troy (6-2, ranked 73 in CBS Sportsline)
2. Alabama v Central Michigan (5-2, ranked 51 in CBS Sportsline)
3. Penn State v West Virginia (5-2, #27)
4. Oklahoma v Tulsa
5. USC v Florida State
6. Georgia v TCU
7. Texas Tech v Boise State
8. Florida v. Ok State

I don't think this is better than what we would have with just the top 16. Ironically, you hurt Utah, who has the misfortune of playing in a tougher conference than Tulsa, Central Michigan and Troy. So you trade Utah for Tulsa, Troy for Ohio State (who already lost to Ohio State and OK State), and Missouri for Central Michigan (who got creamed by Georgia and Purdue). I think it is better with Utah, tOSU and Missouri.
I agree with IPU, you give all conference champions an autobid. That make the regular season mean something and wouldn't take away from any big non-conference games since it doesn't really matter for winning the conference. It would lead to increased parity and allow teams to get a bigger piece of the recruiting pie.

For those who complain that they play in a much tougher conference, I'd tell them they could join a lesser conference if they wanted. That argument has essentially be used against BYU or Utah or whatever "mid-major" team over the years with the BCS, that they should join a major conference if they want to be included. It cuts both ways.
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
I agree with IPU, you give all conference champions an autobid. That make the regular season mean something and wouldn't take away from any big non-conference games since it doesn't really matter for winning the conference. It would lead to increased parity and allow teams to get a bigger piece of the recruiting pie.

For those who complain that they play in a much tougher conference, I'd tell them they could join a lesser conference if they wanted. That argument has essentially be used against BYU or Utah or whatever "mid-major" team over the years with the BCS, that they should join a major conference if they want to be included. It cuts both ways.
I think the regular season means a lot more if you go with the top 16 model. That way, every single game matters. If you take conference champions, then non-conference games don't matter at all, and if you are in a bad conference, you can drop 1 or even 2 in conference and still win the thing. You could conceivably have a 4 or 5 loss team in the playoff ahead of a 1 loss team from the Big 12 or SEC. That just doesn't make sense to me, and it totally devalues the regular season.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #24
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I think the regular season means a lot more if you go with the top 16 model. That way, every single game matters. If you take conference champions, then non-conference games don't matter at all, and if you are in a bad conference, you can drop 1 or even 2 in conference and still win the thing. You could conceivably have a 4 or 5 loss team in the playoff ahead of a 1 loss team from the Big 12 or SEC. That just doesn't make sense to me, and it totally devalues the regular season.
under the model you would still have 5 at large for the 1 loss teams from the big 12 and SEC. Here's what they could do and still have it make political sense for the big six conferences.

ND goes to the big 10

Utah byu go to the Pac - 12

Now the 5 with 12 teams get two bids to the tourney

big east gets 1 auto bid

MWC and WAC combine... and the 4 Non BCS (mwc, confusa, mac and sunbelt) Get 3 auto bids for the highest ranked teams. The lowest of the non bcs have a play in game.

You then have 14 teams #1 and #2 ranked teams get byes the first week. and the rest play out.