cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Where did Rick Rolling come from anyway? it's so strange.
Wikipedia gives a good timeline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I'm going to write a book like this detailing all of Cougarguard's "interesting anecdotes."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm going to write a book like this detailing all of Cougarguard's "interesting anecdotes."
Right. And it can be titled: Tales from the Crypt
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
It's fine-- in fact, it may be good that he does that. There's good reason to disregard a lot of those rumors you hear.
The reason I asked you about yours was because I have it on good authority (warning: "interesting" anecdote to follow) that Hinckley was extremely circumspect about not overstepping his bounds, especially during Benson's ailing years. He held back on several administrative and or policy changes that badly needed doing because he didn't have the keys (changes he later moved forward with as prophet).

Perhaps selecting the next apostle wasn't one that could wait, but I'm curious to hear more about how that worked.

FWIW, I've also been told that selecting a new apostle is one of the loneliest moments in a prophet's life.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what are the things that a non-prophet apostle can't do when the prophet is incapacitated?

I thought that a counselor could do anything/everything.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The reason I asked you about yours was because I have it on good authority (warning: "interesting" anecdote to follow) that Hinckley was extremely circumspect about not overstepping his bounds, especially during Benson's ailing years. He held back on several administrative and or policy changes that badly needed doing because he didn't have the keys (changes he later moved forward with as prophet).

Perhaps selecting the next apostle wasn't one that could wait, but I'm curious to hear more about how that worked.

FWIW, I've also been told that selecting a new apostle is one of the loneliest moments in a prophet's life.
I'm not at liberty to say much either, unfortunately. I can tell you this much: April was to be the third General Conference since the death of LeGrande Richards, and the first since the death of Mark Peterson. The church was once again under fire for employing a gerontocracy as its primary means of governance, being not so far removed from the very short tenures of President Joseph Fielding Smith and Harold B. Lee and under the presidency of an ailing President Kimball. Maybe they could have waited out one vacancy; they didn't seem willing to wait out two. President Hinckley was the major force behind the calling of Elder Nelson and Elder Oaks. How much he conferred with and worked with President Kimball when they were ordained, I honestly don't know; but I know for a fact that he was the one who interviewed, called, and, at even ordained Elder Nelson, and I believe that to be the case with Elder Oaks as well.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

a sticky issue has to be this: when do the other apostles "retire" the feeble-minded president or members of his presidency, by virtue of going around and over them without meaningful consultation.

I have dealt with Alzheimer patients who were so far gone they couldn't even speak. But they could walk around and be physically aggressive.

Of course, the stickier issue is someone who thinks they aren't incapacitated, when they really are. Like ol' Gramps who thinks he can drive when in reality he would probably kill someone in his ol' Grand Marquis.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

why is it a "lifetime" calling, exactly? Why would it not be possible to retire at your own option? Is that possible? Like those emeritus guys--do they still do that to the seventies? Could you be like O'Connor or do you have to be like Rhenquist?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I need to put this on my ipod. Brings back happy 80s memories. . .
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
why is it a "lifetime" calling, exactly? Why would it not be possible to retire at your own option? Is that possible? Like those emeritus guys--do they still do that to the seventies? Could you be like O'Connor or do you have to be like Rhenquist?
Who would make the "retiring" decision for a prophet? There is no precedent that I am aware of, for any calling, where the release is self-determined.

The only person that could then release the prophet is Jesus himself. And apparently Jesus does not want to do that. Other than through the taking of the prophet's life.

Fundamentally that is what the issue is. Death is the certain release.