cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Susan Boyle

a lot of people sure are feeling good about themselves, cheering on the ugly, frumpy middle-aged unemployed woman.

It actually comes from the same place as cheering for the beautiful people, it's just from the other end of the spectrum.

But we kid ourselves that it's actually us recognizing talent in a beauty-free way, divorced of care for physical looks. Yeah, right.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
a lot of people sure are feeling good about themselves, cheering on the ugly, frumpy middle-aged unemployed woman.

It actually comes from the same place as cheering for the beautiful people, it's just from the other end of the spectrum.

But we kid ourselves that it's actually us recognizing talent in a beauty-free way, divorced of care for physical looks. Yeah, right.
Is this that British lady who sang "I Dreamed a Dream"? I don't understand what you mean by it "comes from the same place."

I think we are able to appreciate talent apart from looks. HOWEVER, the talent has to go that much further, and it's a deficit that few can make up for. Especially women. Fortunately for her, she's in the UK, and I think the standard for beauty there is significantly lower.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Absolutely. I can't believe how many people think this is the feel-good story of the year. Good lord, why??

The story is indicative of some of the worst aspects of human nature and societal expectation. I mean, a funny looking person is talented?? Has something to offer the world?? Gasp! Did you see the audience? The judges? They were shocked! Shocked!!

Her story is the same one told for generations upon generations: the unlikely hero makes good. The underdog wins big. This is why we love Harry Potter and Sarah Palin and Boise State.

The pundits will try to tell you that her success just goes to show that everyone has an inner beauty, a fundamental worth. But if we really care about her as a person, then what does it matter if she makes good or wins big? What does it matter that she can sing? Wasn't she worth just as much two weeks ago as she is on the big stage? Or does the story perhaps hint at a truth we'd all prefer to deny: that we collectively believe that individuals are worth more once successful.

And this underdog appeal -- just what is it that qualifies her as an underdog? It's certainly not lack of talent. Ohhhh, that's right. She's rendered an underdog simply because she's old and funny-looking.

The truth is that -- outside of the fact that Ms. Boyle will likely sign a contract and be set for life -- there's no feel-good element to this story. In fact, it seems to me that the implications are anything but.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Absolutely. I can't believe how many people think this is the feel-good story of the year. Good lord, why??
I think you're focusing too much on the negative. I don't disagree with your analysis, but to have an "underdog" story you are almost necessarily required to have some judgmentalism. Do you ask "Good lord, why??" when people get warm and fuzzy about Rudy? Hoosiers? Stand and Deliver?

It's a rough-and-tumble world out there, and let's face it, there are a LOT of frumpy looking 48-year-old women who cannot sing Les Miserables like Patti LuPone. No, it isn't fair, but there's a lot of life that isn't.

I don't think we need to unduly focus on that. We revel in the victory of someone who beats those odds because we understand what they are, and it gives us a little hope that we can too.

I find Ms. Boyle an inspiringly sympathetic figure.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Fortunately for her, she's in the UK, and I think the standard for beauty there is significantly lower.
I'm sure this is mean, but Britain in general definitely got the short end of the stick when the genes for physical attractiveness were handed out.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I'm sure this is mean, but Britain in general definitely got the short end of the stick when the genes for physical attractiveness were handed out.
I heard an offensive, awful joke on the radio this morning:

Fat chicks are like mopeds. They are fun to ride, until your friends see you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote