cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oregon State game

I was feeling all good about the game being on TV. My homework on said television coverage consisted entirely of going to the LSU site with all the televised games and seeing that the game was on channel 617 as well as KBYU. Cool.

3pm Central rolls around, and I find out that I don't have the channel. I go to BYUTV and see that the game isn't on there either (forgetting that KBYU <> BYUTV). Great. I call up directv, find out how much it costs to add channel 617. Sports Pack. $11. Ok, I can afford that for one month at least, I'm that dedicated a fan, I am willing to pay $11 to see them play.

All the while wondering if there is a KBYUTV internet broadcast that I am missing, and that I just wasted $11. Yes, I am that cheap.

It was a reasonably entertaining affair. BYU could really run it down the gut of Oregon State. For that I credit Oregon State, because heaven knows we can't run against good teams. And OSU is not a good team, no sirree.

Riley Nelson was worried that if the Cougs started blowing out the Beavers, that Jake Heaps would be inserted during mop up time. So he conspired to throw a pick 6 to keep the game close. At least that's what I heard. From voices in my head.

It's fun to watch Nelson play. I don't know how long it's going to last before the shoulder separation, but it's good. I love how after plays break down, he can make plays with his feet and arm. I just wish that Heaps had that knack.

Alisa is continuing to show a little something. His quality compared to the other running backs. This team could still use a really fast/quick receiver, no doubt. It's a missing element.

I'm not sure how this independence thing is going to work for the fans. What exactly is at stake here? Once we are bowl-qualified, our destiny is set. Nor can we disrupt other teams' runs for conference championships. Nor do we have to follow other teams to see how they are doing. There is no other teams to compare BYU to. We will end the season without having a good idea where BYU stacks up. Is this satisfying?

At least Notre Dame has many traditional rivalry games. We've got squat.

I love the fact that we have been on ESPN so much, but at a certain point, it's only going to be fun if we are competing with the big boys. That's becoming apparent to me.

I thought it was funny when the announcers were talking about OSU and how bad their season has been, and what they have to look forward to. "OSU will have the chance to beat Utah, which is also struggling."

LOL.

I hate the Pac-12. Their football sucks. It's low-stakes garbage, even when the players are half-decent.

Tip o' the hat to Ogletree. Monster game. Pendleton too.

And how bout them Texas Rangers? What a way to cap off the night. If Bronco ever quits to do paid fireside videos, we should hire Ron Washington. I love that man. Can we install him as a Seventy? I would love to hear him give us folks some of his good straight-talk.

So what's next? TCU? The parking at Jerry World costs more than Directv SportsPack. I think I will save my change and watch it on TV.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So what's next? TCU? The parking at Jerry World costs more than Directv SportsPack. I think I will save my change and watch it on TV.
If you're not motivated enough to get off your duff and see the one last good matchup BYU has left on its schedule in your own backyard, then you are an idiot.

And I say that with all the love in my heart.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No one is an idiot who refuses to put money in Jerry Jones' pocket.

That is as true a thing as has ever been said.

It would cost me $100 to attend the game by myself, parking included, gas not included.

I guess I'm not just not as rich as some folks.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Tex

Quote:
No one is an idiot who refuses to put money in Jerry Jones' pocket.

That is as true a thing as has ever been said.

It would cost me $100 to attend the game by myself, parking included, gas not included.

I guess I'm not just not as rich as some folks.
Since leaving Utah it has cost me more than that to go to any BYU game I've ever attended, and I've never had one played in my backyard. No sympathy here.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I've gone to most all the TCU vs. BYU games, and it has never cost me anywhere near $100.

Part of the issue is that I am without any close local BYU friends. I might consider it if I was going with a friend or two, but to go all by myself at that price point, not so fun for me.

My last couple of TCU games were me sitting by myself. Watching BYU get shellacked, while sitting amongst TCU fans. Too bad, I had a great scalped ticket last time.

I could always pursue a scalped ticket, but the issue is complicated by parking. Parking was free at TCU. Regular official parking would cost more than any of my prior TCU tickets.

Wouldn't BYU be better off if I just made a $50 donation to them?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
I've gone to most all the TCU vs. BYU games, and it has never cost me anywhere near $100.

Part of the issue is that I am without any close local BYU friends. I might consider it if I was going with a friend or two, but to go all by myself at that price point, not so fun for me.

My last couple of TCU games were me sitting by myself. Watching BYU get shellacked, while sitting amongst TCU fans. Too bad, I had a great scalped ticket last time.

I could always pursue a scalped ticket, but the issue is complicated by parking. Parking was free at TCU. Regular official parking would cost more than any of my prior TCU tickets.

Wouldn't BYU be better off if I just made a $50 donation to them?
I agree going alone is no fun. I find it hard to believe that with the Y coming to town you can't find a single other BYU fan to go with, but maybe Dallas has changed that much since I lived there. They do still have a temple there, right?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The time or two I went with someone, it was actually guys who also posted on CB/CG. Well, you know which way that has gone.

I do have a friend in my ward who attended the UT and Ole Miss games. He might be going, but he's not mentioned anything about it to me. If he had an extra ticket I could buy, and we could split the parking, I'd probably go. Chances of that? Slim to none.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I hate the Pac-12. Their football sucks. It's low-stakes garbage, even when the players are half-decent.
Hey be nice; you were just stuck playing the worst team in the conference last weekend, according to the current Sagarin ratings:

7 Oregon 92.42
8 Stanford 91.72
19 Arizona State 83.60
28 Washington 80.09
30 Southern California 79.56
38 Utah 77.21
55 UCLA 72.07
59 California 71.09
71 Washington State 67.53
106 Arizona 60.88
107 Colorado 60.06
115 Oregon State 59.02