cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the advent of the do-not-contact active member

When I was a kid, we had a ward directory. It was printed on paper. It was a physical thing that you could keep in a drawer next to the phone.

These days we use lds.org. We use laptops, desktops, phones, and tablets to access the ward directory. But the interesting thing is that members can opt out of showing up on the ward directory. And control the information that is there. For example, by removing phone numbers and address.

I was trying to contact an active member the other day, I went to consult the ward directory, and he wasn't there at all. Nor his wife. I asked my wife if they had moved out. No, they hadn't. They just apparently don't like to be contacted by ward members. Screw them.

Another brother asked for help with a move. I was trying to help out by getting information out, and realized last last night that I don't know his address because it is not in the directory. Well I guess people can contact him individually and ask for his address. If they can reach him. This same guy's email doesn't contain any part of his name (he uses a pseudonym for the name attached to the actual email address). So when he emails you, you have no idea it's him.

Can you imagine back in the old days, active members with callings asking to be removed from the ward directory?

I do a fair amount of thankless shiz, and this is just another barrier that is pissing me off.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

i should try this. it hadn't occurred to me.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote