cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mike Waters, photographer

So this guy has paid me a couple of times to take pictures of him and his son out at the one of the local bike races.

Now he has asked me to take photos of the shopping malls his company builds, for use as art in the hallway, etc.

That's cool. But I've turned down extra medical work (which pays quite nicely) to spend more time with family. I'm not sure I want to be taking photos of strip malls at a lower wage. Although I find the challenge of photography to be fun.

More to the point, I am seeing how photography can snowball, just like any small business. Two other guys now want to buy photos from me (that I've already taken). One of these guys has suggested I come out to the velodrome and take photos, he would buy them, etc.

One of the brightest kids in my high school, went on to major in engineering at Cal Tech. Nerdy Asian kid. Anyway, years later, I find out he is married to a doctor and is a wedding photographer. Too weird.

If I keep this up, I'm defintely going to need a commercial website and business cards. What I'd really like to do is high-end portraiture. That would be cool.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
So this guy has paid me a couple of times to take pictures of him and his son out at the one of the local bike races.

Now he has asked me to take photos of the shopping malls his company builds, for use as art in the hallway, etc.

That's cool. But I've turned down extra medical work (which pays quite nicely) to spend more time with family. I'm not sure I want to be taking photos of strip malls at a lower wage. Although I find the challenge of photography to be fun.

More to the point, I am seeing how photography can snowball, just like any small business. Two other guys now want to buy photos from me (that I've already taken). One of these guys has suggested I come out to the velodrome and take photos, he would buy them, etc.

One of the brightest kids in my high school, went on to major in engineering at Cal Tech. Nerdy Asian kid. Anyway, years later, I find out he is married to a doctor and is a wedding photographer. Too weird.

If I keep this up, I'm defintely going to need a commercial website and business cards. What I'd really like to do is high-end portraiture. That would be cool.
The good thing about doing photography on the side is that you can involve your family still. You can take your kids and family with you and use them as models, extras, etc. I know that sounds cheesy, but I don't think that your photography time has to be additional time without your family.

Also, if you're looking to put a website together, I do freelance web work.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Tim, no offence, but if it ever came to it I would probably use one of the packages already out there, like Exposure Manager. They have all sorts of features that if you were to program, you'd be able to sell the services also!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Tim, no offence, but if it ever came to it I would probably use one of the packages already out there, like Exposure Manager. They have all sorts of features that if you were to program, you'd be able to sell the services also!
That makes total sense. I'm not offended at all. Always go with a tool that already exists if it fits your need.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Mike...

Based on my experience with professional photography I have a couple of suggestions.

1- Don't start doing architectual work unless you have to. The lighting is ALWAYS bad or mixed, etc and getting people to move their cars, get the hell out of the way, or mow the lawn is a nightmare. 90% of the time you end up having to photoshop in a sky with clouds or a greener lawn or some other crap that makes the building look nothing like the actual building.

2- You can actually keep photography a hobby but make it pay without a whole lot of effort. I had a client (also a friend) who would take photos at local sporting events (5K runs, little league games, Mtn. Bike races, etc...). He'd hand out a card here and there with the link to his photo blog. People could look on his page for a link to the date or event and order prints online.

The coolest part is that he just takes photos of things that interest him so it's more fun than a job. One day we wandered down to a square dancing thing and got some really cool photos. Last time I checked his kid was getting in on the act. His 10 yr old has a decent digital camera that he likes to tote around they go out on photography "hunts" together. I guess it's his way of making up for the male bonding all the neighbors say he's missing because he doesn't wear orange and shoot things once a year.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

i think you're right. I'm not sure that photographing strip malls is my calling.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Someday I hope to have some photographic talent...

I would love to be able to take a Jr. Hippie out to photograph random stuff.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote