cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

i think it's too early to tell, but it looks a bit more promising.

I think the tackling is better.

I don't really think we have truly been tested.

The other part is that we are getting a better pass rush with our current scheme and players, so that is helping.

Safety remains a question mark. Neither terrible nor great it seems so far. This may be a function of the linebackers taking up a lot of slack.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

The other part is that we are getting a better pass rush with our current scheme and players, so that is helping.

Safety remains a question mark. Neither terrible nor great it seems so far. This may be a function of the linebackers taking up a lot of slack.
Mike, I'll agree on the safety part, but admittedly Quinn Gooch had a fantastic game against Boston College. I hope he can build on that and continue to improve.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Did you type that entirely with your left hand?

Good heavens that post has less manhood than ex-ute or any faggity frenchman.

Take a stand Doc, and don't be such a string puller.

Either it appears it is better or it appears it is not. If it is improved this year, based upon a critical analysis, then I think it is fair to say that HB is sending out shit based upon perception of last year and not reality. Has HB ever commented upon his analysis of the DL? I can admit that I thought the coaching staff made a huge blunder but it appears that they acquitted themselves pretty damn well with the talent they brought in, and two of those DL starters were playing during spring ball. So what gives with HB?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Either it appears it is better or it appears it is not. If it is improved this year, based upon a critical analysis, then I think it is fair to say that HB is sending out shit based upon perception of last year and not reality. Has HB ever commented upon his analysis of the DL? I can admit that I thought the coaching staff made a huge blunder but it appears that they acquitted themselves pretty damn well with the talent they brought in, and two of those DL starters were playing during spring ball. So what gives with HB?
I think HB may have been misrepresented here. He never said that JRob sucks; neither did he say that he hadn't improved. His point is that Coach Bronco makes a point of saying he recruits to improve the talent and that since JRob is still the starter, that aspect of recruiting isn't panning out. I don't know that I agree, since HB is being a bit schizoid. Further down in the newsletter he notes that the secondary has made "major" improvement from last year, crediting Coach Hill.

I think it's clear that the secondary has improved, as well as the Cougars are running a better defensive scheme. The defense was a sieve last year. I think if they were going to return to that form again this year, we would have seen some semblance of that in the four games played. We haven't.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #15
Fumamota McChopperdave

Fumamota McChopperdave
Default true, true

We've played a couple of tough offenses (Tulsa & Boston College) and played well. I don't know if I'd say we're 'untested.' The best offenses we're likely to play against, imo, would be:

Utah/Boston College
-
-
-
-
Tulsa, TCU
-
-
-
-
-
and about everyone else we play is shitty. So I would say the prognosis is good for our defense this year.
btw, Where did Ben Criddle come from? Teams don't even bother throwing on him these days. Of course that may be more of a reflection of JRob's skills than anything else, but still...
Old 09-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:

I agree with the sentiment that given how bad JR was and is, it is disappointing that the JC transfers couldn't beat him out.

Is that Bronco's fault? Not necessarily. However I think the hype machine for these "awesome" recruits is kind of ridiculous. We get the same guys we've always gotten.

It's hard to make a lot of pronouncements about the defensive backs when you don't actually get to seem them in action due to the way that games are shown on television. I can't get a good idea of the coverage. Same thing with receivers. Why can't Beck connect on the outer thirds? Because the receivers aren't open? Because Beck by default goes short and up the middle? Can't tell if you can't see.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 09-26-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Not that I feel like I have to be an HB defender, but in fairness to him because I read the newsletter and made the initial post here, his comment wasn't about the defense or Bronco's recruits in general.

His comment was specifically about JRob and the guys that might have supplanted him as starter namely Howard, Tico Pringle, and Solsberry Hill. Buckner and Bradley are off the table in the analysis because of injury and redshirt. I endorse HB's opinion though it's not the strongest of my opinions.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Not that I feel like I have to be an HB defender, but in fairness to him because I read the newsletter and made the initial post here, his comment wasn't about the defense or Bronco's recruits in general.

His comment was specifically about JRob and the guys that might have supplanted him as starter namely Howard, Tico Pringle, and Solsberry Hill. Buckner and Bradley are off the table in the analysis because of injury and redshirt. I endorse HB's opinion though it's not the strongest of my opinions.
Perhaps I am on edge because I think folks are overreacting to the two losses this year. I still cannot fathom that folks think there has been no improvement from the Crowton debacle, but the fact is until Bronco starts winning consistently that argument is difficult to combat.

I just think that given the improvement within the secondary, and the whole defense for that matter, it is piling on because of the baaaaad memories from last year. Jay himself pointed out HB's internal hypocrisy. But the dude might just be getting old.

I think BYU backed into a solid head coach. I doubt he wins 8 or 9 straight conference championships or 19 in 29 years, but I think if Bronco is at BYU over the next 15 years he will win as many conference championships as any other team, or he won't be far behind the leader. I just can't fathom how one can watch his teams play and hearken back to a 6-6 CSU club scoring that shitload of points while Gary was tangled up in his notcard necklace trying to get a wink of shuteye because he had been up all night drawing up plays on his napkin.

This could be the first year since 1999 where BYU is competitive in every game it plays. While the wins aren't piling up, IMO there is a noticeable difference in effort, intensity and general level of competition. I am confident that conference play will prove me now herewith. Given how BYU priortizes sports, I really think he is the best BYU can get. I am convinced he is better than the last fellow and if in the end BYU hires a more proven commodity because his teams are solid and unable to get over the hump, I will be forever grateful to him for forcing the issue and making winning something the admin lusts after like ex-ute lusts after a bottle of Summers Eve.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Perhaps I am on edge because I think folks are overreacting to the two losses this year. I still cannot fathom that folks think there has been no improvement from the Crowton debacle, but the fact is until Bronco starts winning consistently that argument is difficult to combat.

I just think that given the improvement within the secondary, and the whole defense for that matter, it is piling on because of the baaaaad memories from last year. Jay himself pointed out HB's internal hypocrisy. But the dude might just be getting old.

I think BYU backed into a solid head coach. I doubt he wins 8 or 9 straight conference championships or 19 in 29 years, but I think if Bronco is at BYU over the next 15 years he will win as many conference championships as any other team, or he won't be far behind the leader. I just can't fathom how one can watch his teams play and hearken back to a 6-6 CSU club scoring that shitload of points while Gary was tangled up in his notcard necklace trying to get a wink of shuteye because he had been up all night drawing up plays on his napkin.

This could be the first year since 1999 where BYU is competitive in every game it plays. While the wins aren't piling up, IMO there is a noticeable difference in effort, intensity and general level of competition. I am confident that conference play will prove me now herewith. Given how BYU priortizes sports, I really think he is the best BYU can get. I am convinced he is better than the last fellow and if in the end BYU hires a more proven commodity because his teams are solid and unable to get over the hump, I will be forever grateful to him for forcing the issue and making winning something the admin lusts after like ex-ute lusts after a bottle of Summers Eve.
(clap....clap...clap...)

Vintage Goatnapper. Insightful, witty, & irreverent. CB's loss is our gain, folks.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

this year ought to be the perfect storm of success for Bronco. A better than expected defense. A senior-laden experienced offense.

Combine that with the MWC generally sucking eggs (more than usual) this year.

I certainly like being competitive more than I like being blown out. But at the end of the day, neither sort of loss is particularly satisfying.