cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
this year ought to be the perfect storm of success for Bronco. A better than expected defense. A senior-laden experienced offense.

Combine that with the MWC generally sucking eggs (more than usual) this year.

I certainly like being competitive more than I like being blown out. But at the end of the day, neither sort of loss is particularly satisfying.

Kinda akin to being raped by a big fat chick, or by a skanky prostitute, neither result is especially satisfying, even though one might look better than the other.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:47 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU's 2006 pass efficiency defense is currently ranked in the 30s. If that's what we're staring at in the face for the near term, I can live with that.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #23
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Perhaps I am on edge because I think folks are overreacting to the two losses this year. I still cannot fathom that folks think there has been no improvement from the Crowton debacle, but the fact is until Bronco starts winning consistently that argument is difficult to combat.

I just think that given the improvement within the secondary, and the whole defense for that matter, it is piling on because of the baaaaad memories from last year. Jay himself pointed out HB's internal hypocrisy. But the dude might just be getting old.

I think BYU backed into a solid head coach. I doubt he wins 8 or 9 straight conference championships or 19 in 29 years, but I think if Bronco is at BYU over the next 15 years he will win as many conference championships as any other team, or he won't be far behind the leader. I just can't fathom how one can watch his teams play and hearken back to a 6-6 CSU club scoring that shitload of points while Gary was tangled up in his notcard necklace trying to get a wink of shuteye because he had been up all night drawing up plays on his napkin.

This could be the first year since 1999 where BYU is competitive in every game it plays. While the wins aren't piling up, IMO there is a noticeable difference in effort, intensity and general level of competition. I am confident that conference play will prove me now herewith. Given how BYU priortizes sports, I really think he is the best BYU can get. I am convinced he is better than the last fellow and if in the end BYU hires a more proven commodity because his teams are solid and unable to get over the hump, I will be forever grateful to him for forcing the issue and making winning something the admin lusts after like ex-ute lusts after a bottle of Summers Eve.
This discussion is not about whether or not Bronco is a good head coach or whether he's better than Crowton.

This is simply an evaluation on Saulsberry, Howard, and Pringle based on the fact that they haven't beaten out JRob, and JRob's not that hot. I think that is a fair way to evaluate those three, and I think HB's comments have merit.

Now if you want to get to talking about Bronco as a head coach or whether he's better than Crowton, we can do that. If you want to go there, I agree Bronco appears to have potential. However, I don't think his W-L record to date reflects one teeny bit of improvement on Crowton. If "effort, intensity and general level of competition" don't show up in the W-L than it ain't worth jack to me. This year's team will be better than any of Crowton's last three but only because we're using Crowton's players after they've had three years of experience.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote