cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buses and Bikes

do not mix.

Today, during my holiday ride, it's Nevada Day, which means staff gets a freebie and I get to come in late, I was riding down our Boulder City hill, on the tri bike no less, not really paying attention, just drifting down the hill about 35 mph, when a tour bus missed me by about six inches, but the air draft surrounding it nearly knocked me completely over.

It reminded me never to take cycling for granted and that time trial bikes are not as stable as road bikes.

Any how, for those of you coming to Vegas with your bikes, what sort of ride do you want to do? A scenic ride of how many hours? 3, 4, 5 or more?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I wish I could make it down to Vegas come December, but there is a snowball's chance in you-know-where that is will actually happen. Best wishes to those who can make it. Make sure there are plenty of big climbs on your ride, especially is creekster goes. He loves to climb.

I've ruined several good pairs of shorts due to close calls with big rigs buzzing the tower when I'm not expecting them. If you are ready for it, the draft you can catch for that brief moment is pretty incredible. Just remember Dave from "Breaking Away" next time a big rig comes by. He was able to hit 60 mph behind one on the highway - and that while he was in the little chainring!!!
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Busses and trucks suck. Literally, and it can be a good thing. Last year when My Bros-in-law and I did a SLC to St. George tour we were coming into Panguitch (I think it was Panguitch; all those little towns merge together in my mind after a while) and had been fighting a head wind all day long and I was, quite frnakly, exhausted (now to you serious riders out there, my ride that day would have been a warm-up for a sprint,and to Arch it ouwld have been a mere prelude to a 5 mile swim and 26 mile run, but I digress). The only thing that kept me going was the steady stream of big trucks going by. I could hear them coming up behind me and for the first time in my life I would actually moved out into their lane to get closer so I could let them suck me along and avoid the headwind, if just for a few moments.