cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #11
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Wow, that is one long speach. I can't believe the dude spoke for two hours! Imaging sitting out there for two hours listening to that guy drone - and I thought general conference was bad.
I understand how those people must have felt when I had to read a 250 page book about Lincoln's Gettysburg Address for my Civil War History class. Talk about pulling teeth....
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:03 AM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
No kidding. And the thing is people liked it better than Lincoln's speech, which we now generally revere as a classic. Go figure.
I thought it was the other way around. I seem to recall that Everett was blown away by Lincoln's speech and instantly hailed it as a classic. I've always assumed that part of the appeal of Lincoln's speech was the concise elegance juxtaposed with Everett's seemingly endless talk.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:27 AM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I recall the publics reception to Lincolns speech just as creekster wrote. When he finished everyone was looking around at each other, kind of like "Is that it?". It wasn't for years after the speech was delivered until it was appreciated for being the masterpiece that it is considered today.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:04 AM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I recall the publics reception to Lincolns speech just as creekster wrote. When he finished everyone was looking around at each other, kind of like "Is that it?". It wasn't for years after the speech was delivered until it was appreciated for being the masterpiece that it is considered today.
You were there? Wow.

This is the gist of what I recall reading:

In a letter to Lincoln written the following day, Everett praised the President for his eloquent and concise speech, saying, "I should be glad if I could flatter myself that I came as near to the central idea of the occasion, in two hours, as you did in two minutes." Lincoln was glad to know the speech was not a "total failure."

http://www.answers.com/topic/gettysburg-address

Lots of interesting information on the speech and the various reactions.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:03 AM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You were there? Wow.

In a letter to Lincoln written the following day, Everett praised the President for his eloquent and concise speech, saying, "I should be glad if I could flatter myself that I came as near to the central idea of the occasion, in two hours, as you did in two minutes." Lincoln was glad to know the speech was not a "total failure."

Everett's reaction to Lincoln's speech is not necessarily equivalent to the reaction of the crowd. Reviewing the site you cite it appears the actual reaction was either mixed or is lost to history as the reaction may have depended on the observer's biases (there's something new, eh?) In any event, what is true is that Everett's style was much more popular in the day, as a general matter, which speaks to Brian's original inquiry.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:12 AM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Everett's reaction to Lincoln's speech is not necessarily equivalent to the reaction of the crowd. Reviewing the site you cite it appears the actual reaction was either mixed or is lost to history as the reaction may have depended on the observer's biases (there's something new, eh?) In any event, what is true is that Everett's style was much more popular in the day, as a general matter, which speaks to Brian's original inquiry.
Yes, you are correct. My bad.

On a somewhat related note, we all know that after Joseph's death, Brother Brigham wowed the Nauvoo crowd with his talk where he took on the persona of Joseph, thereby sealing the deal for his rise to president. I seem to recall that his talk came on the heels of a four-hour talk by Sidney Rigdon. I always wondered if part of the crowd reaction was payback for that bladder-busting, long-winded Rigdon speech.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You were there? Wow.

You got me. I wasn't there. I thought I could sneak that one past you.

I think we're both right about the public reaction to Lincoln's address. I imagine it would have depended on who you were to ask.

And by the way, what else would you expect Everett to say to the President? Dude you really "Schruted" that one. (Sorry, shameless Office quote. Flog me now.)
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks again for the help. It went very well this morning.
I read a couple of passages from The Stones of Venice and watched their eyes glaze over. A good discusion on the power of profound ideas expressed with plain and simple language ensued. I also mentioned the practical nature of it all. Nobody would read their scriptures if it read like that.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thanks again for the help. It went very well this morning.
I read a couple of passages from The Stones of Venice and watched their eyes glaze over. A good discusion on the power of profound ideas expressed with plain and simple language ensued. I also mentioned the practical nature of it all. Nobody would read their scriptures if it read like that.
Hmm, maybe that's why my eyes glaze over when I read Isaiah.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote