cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Question for Shaff...

I have to say, I just don't get you or your approach to things. Help me understand it.

Your personal blog indicates that you think you are a wretched sinner striving to obtain the mercy of Christ. I would argue that Mormons as a group are also cognizant of the fact that they are sinners and need the mercy of Christ and seek it out. So why the beef with the Mormon church?

Your response appears to be that you think Mormons are worshiping a false God, thereby violating the first of the ten commandments. This is strange to me on many levels.

There are many varying versions (churches, denominations, etc.) of Christianity. By saying Mormons are wrong about their perception of God, you must also be saying that your understanding is better. But are you claiming that your understanding is the best? If so, what makes you so certain? And, if so, why have you singled out Mormons as being the group that you need to convince more than any other that their view is wrong? Does that suggest you believe Mormons to be the most incorrect of all Christian religions? Even if true, why not single out people who don't have any understanding of Christ at all, such as Hindus? Wouldn't that make more sense?

It seems important to me to understand the nature of God. It also seems important to me to live a Christ-like life. Understanding the nature of God helps us understand better how to live a Christ-like life to be sure. Mormons, in your view, may be very bad at the first. How do they rate in the second (living a Christ-like life)? I haven't heard many people from any religion argue that Mormons as a group don't strive to live a Christ-like life. And which of the two is more important? Striving to live a Christ-like life, or better understanding the nature of God? Your missionary zeal seems entirely dedicated to helping people with the first category, and frequently in your zeal you abandon acting in a Christ-like manner, in my opinion, in order to club people over the head with your perception of what God is. Why have you chosen such an approach?

Honest questions. I am hoping for some honest answers.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 01-19-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Honest questions. I am hoping for some honest answers.
Sadly, I think you are wasting your time. I think we were all hoping for this kind of dialogue, but he doesn't appear to be interested.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Sadly, I think you are wasting your time. I think we were all hoping for this kind of dialogue, but he doesn't appear to be interested.
A fundamentalist reductionist is primarily and perhaps solely a polemicist. In polemics, there is no dialogue.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

He's a cowardly throw stones and run away type of guy.

But his wife makes him breakfast in the morning. He has that going for him.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

I think he moved on. He was trying to make noise on the Mormon blogs last night:

http://www.bycommonconsent.com/2007/...comment-104193
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This too was going to be my reply. If Aaron replies, it will have little to do with the substance of your questions. He will reply with a new, unrelated topic pasted from the Tanner's website.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaron, and those Christians who approach religious differences in a similar fashion, really do the vast majority of Christians a disservice. His guile and "craftiness in deceitful scheming" (Eph. 4:14) have no semblance to my interactions with almost all of the Christians I've met. Oh sure, many Christians aren't big fans of the LDS Church, but they have the good sense to either A) live and let live and/or B) engage in genuine, forthright, and respectful discussion. In other words, most don't make Mormons the objects of their own appetites.

Paul's counsel to "keep an eye on" but "avoid" people like Aaron for the benefit of the simple-minded might have application. Their aren't too many of those around CG, but I offer it as food for thought:

Romans 16: 17-18: I urge you, brothers and sisters, to keep an eye on those who cause dissensions and offences, in opposition to the teaching that you have learned; avoid them. 18 For such people do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the simple-minded.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

My question for shaff is much more simple.

Who is the private dick who is a sex machine to all the chicks?
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
purplmonkeydishwashr

purplmonkeydishwashr

...and noone understands him but his servant...
purplmonkeydishwashr is offline   Reply With Quote