cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top 8 shows on television

I do not watch all of these shows live, many of them I watch on tivo after the season or in spurts. But here is my 3 times a year top 8 television shows:

1. Battlestar Galactica (SciFi channel)--best show on television. Stories are well written and dramatic and painful and terrific and, ok, I'll stop.

2. 24 (FOX)--yes, it is farfetched, but man, can that show pull out surprises and dramatic events. Any show that 4 episodes into a 24 episode season already have a nuclear bomb go off and a main character shoot another main character and friend in the throat, well, pretty terrific.

3. Veronica Mars (the CW)--Still entertaining and still fabulous. New setting, some new friends and great storylines.

4. The Office (NBC)--No, its not as good as the british office, but it is still very funny and always good for a laugh.

5. House (FOX)--Terrific. I hate hospital dramas but this one is always there for a wild mystery and some great lines.

6. Extras (HBO)--Ricky Gervais is awesome!

7. 30 Rock (NBC)--I had not watched an episode until about 2 weeks ago (I had tivo'd them) but I am caught up and it is hillarious. Tracy Morgan and Alec Baldwin are as funny as it gets.

8. Entourage (HBO)--I like this show quite a bit. Drama is as good of a character that is on television.

Others receiving votes: Lost, Heroes, Scrubs, The Wire, Weeds and the Closer
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I do not watch all of these shows live, many of them I watch on tivo after the season or in spurts. But here is my 3 times a year top 8 television shows:

1. Battlestar Galactica (SciFi channel)--best show on television. Stories are well written and dramatic and painful and terrific and, ok, I'll stop.

2. 24 (FOX)--yes, it is farfetched, but man, can that show pull out surprises and dramatic events. Any show that 4 episodes into a 24 episode season already have a nuclear bomb go off and a main character shoot another main character and friend in the throat, well, pretty terrific.

3. Veronica Mars (the CW)--Still entertaining and still fabulous. New setting, some new friends and great storylines.

4. The Office (NBC)--No, its not as good as the british office, but it is still very funny and always good for a laugh.

5. House (FOX)--Terrific. I hate hospital dramas but this one is always there for a wild mystery and some great lines.

6. Extras (HBO)--Ricky Gervais is awesome!

7. 30 Rock (NBC)--I had not watched an episode until about 2 weeks ago (I had tivo'd them) but I am caught up and it is hillarious. Tracy Morgan and Alec Baldwin are as funny as it gets.

8. Entourage (HBO)--I like this show quite a bit. Drama is as good of a character that is on television.

Others receiving votes: Lost, Heroes, Scrubs, The Wire, Weeds and the Closer
Arrested Developme--- oh, never mind.

Stupid Fox.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't even get me started. Arrested Development was as fine as a comedy that I can remember. Pure genius. Hard to blame FOX though...ratings wise, it probably should have been cancelled after season 1...and it made it thru almost 3 seasons. It shows the american audience when a show like 'According to Jim' can be on the air for 10 years or whatever it is over a show like Arrested Development.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Don't even get me started. Arrested Development was as fine as a comedy that I can remember. Pure genius. Hard to blame FOX though...ratings wise, it probably should have been cancelled after season 1...and it made it thru almost 3 seasons. It shows the american audience when a show like 'According to Jim' can be on the air for 10 years or whatever it is over a show like Arrested Development.
Or perhaps Fox's marketing agency doesn't know what to do with intelligence. It can peddle slapstick trash and talent shows, but something funny? That's asking a lot.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I don't think there are 8 shows on TV worth watching.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

While we're talking TV, is anyone else in the world besides me watching Knights of Prosperity? And is it weird that I think it's freakin' hilarious?

It's in a horrible time slot, so maybe nobody even knows what it is.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I don't think there are 8 shows on TV worth watching.

Bingo -I can't even think of 8 shows. I have watched Battlestar Galactica ... it's going down hill though and will jump the shark this season.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a bad list. There are only a few shows I really like.
South Park- Cartman always cracks me up.

Office- It'll probably be funny for another year or so and then it'll suck

30 Rock- Alec Baldwin is hilarious in this show

Curb Your Enthusiasm- Can't wait for the next season. One of my all time favorite shows. My favorite characters are his manager (Jeff Green) and Jeff's wife Suzie. Jeff Green looks just like Mike Golic and his wife has a great foul mouth.

Big Love- I started watching out of curiosity, but I started enjoying the complicated plots and awkward situations involved in a polygamous relationship.

Becker reruns- My future self loves this show
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:51 AM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

My list:

Battlestar Galactica
The Unit
The Shield
Prison Break
Friday Night Lights
Battlefield Britain (documentary series on History Channel)

I don't know if these are the best shows, just the ones I watch. I'm not home Thursday nights, so I miss all those NBC comedies. I guess I need Tivo.

Last edited by Venkman; 01-30-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:10 AM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

My list:

6am Sportscenter
7am Sportscenter
6pm Sportscenter
11pm Sportscenter
The Office
Usually the TNT, ESPN, and ABC NBA games.
Miami Ink
Man vs. Wild

I just don't watch that much TV anymore except for sports. And most of this stuff I DVR and watch at my convenience.

Actually most of the TV shows I watch now are on DVD. And that is a different list:

Veronica Mars (I started watching at UteStar's suggestion and love the show)
Smallville (It jumps the shark every other episode but it can be forgiven because it's about Superman and contains Lois and Lana)
Extras (I am through the Kate Winslet and Ben Stiller episodes. Great stuff)
Gilmore Girls (At the risk of being emasculated by fellow CG'ers I really enjoy this show because it is smart and the references they throw out are very clever and witty. I also have a huge crush on Lauren Graham. Flame away friends)
24 (I can't stand waiting 6 months to get through all of that tension)
Lost (Same as 24)

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote