cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think conspiracy theories are fun

For the most part I don't believe in them, but I appreciate the imagination of those who come up with them. One of my favorites is the Chem-Trail phenomenom. Some folks believe that the contrail from certain airplanes are laced with chemicals used for unverified purposes, although it has been speculated that mind control is one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chem_trail

There are other interesting theories/occurrences that make me a little more uncomfortable. The Bilderberg Group and Bohemian Grove seem to have potential as a good location for conspiring minds to meet. A group of accomplished and powerful individuals from across the nation and globe meeting under the cloud of secrecy is, for the most part, dangerous (With the Constitutional Convention as an obvious exception).

This seems to be a lesson that is taught at various times in our scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon. We learn from the BOM that secret combinations exist and they set control of government directly in their sights. The Doctrine and Covenants warns of the dangers of evil and conspiring men seeking to limit our free agency and enhance themselves through alcohol and tobacco. It also warns us of the natural disposition of man and his ability to deal with power.

Some conspiracy theories, like the Chem-Trails, sound absolutely wacky. But people likely could have said the same thing 50 years ago if you would have said that tobacco companies were manipulating nicotine levels to ensure addiction.

Interest in these theories has potential to become an isolating gospel hobby that distances an individual from their fellow man. It can also increase scepticism to unhealthy levels. But, using the BOM and D&C examples isn't it important for us to keep an eye out for these types of things? How do we do this without being crazy?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I find the chem-trail theory a lot more plausible than the R.J. Reynolds/Seagrams secret combination theory.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote