cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

- Catholic Mass in the Philippines on a few occasions
- Catholic Mass/Wedding in SLC (that church on 21st south and about 3rd East - Our Lady of Something or Other - can't remember the name).
- One of those rock-band Christian deals in Thailand. That was a trip when the place got rocking to Thai Jesus music.
- Lived next door to some type of Charismatic Christian church in the Philippines where they would sing the Lord's Prayer every night. They would start out soft and then work up to a loud wailing by the end. I can still hear them wailing "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for eeeevvvvveerrr" night after night after night.
- Plenty of Buddhist cermonies/events in both Thailand and Taiwan - funerals, weddings, prayer ceremonies, etc.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
purplmonkeydishwashr

purplmonkeydishwashr

I went to a Catholic mass in Honduras, spoken entirely in Garifuna. Unfortunately, the only Garifuna I can speak involves asking for a glass of water, so I didn't understand much.
purplmonkeydishwashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was attending a funeral in Micronesia, little open-air concrete and tin meetinghouse. No electricy or running water. The eulogy/sermon was based on the film "Titanic."

How awesome is that?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I conducted a Buddhist funeral a couple of months ago. It was a fascinating experience, complete with 8 Buddhist monks chanting and reciting prayers. The family was Laotian, so aside from what myself and a couple of others from our ward said, I understood nothing.

Other than that, I've been Catholic mass a couple of times (graduate school at a Jesuit University). Many of my close friends growing up were Southern Baptist and we spent a fair amount of time at their weekly youth activities, called "High Life". They had Ping Pong, pool tables, good grub and better looking girls than our ward did. Whats not to like?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I've been to a number of Protestant (they were pretty mainline including Episcopal) and Catholic for weddings and memorial services and baptisms. One thing I've found is that paid professional clergy give much better sermons than lay people. They're worth the money.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-31-2007 at 09:13 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to many services at many different churches. The most interesting of them was a small group of worshippers in England that believed in some prophet (can't remember his name) who was from Arizona.

There were about 8 to 10 of them that met in this small room and their service consisted in large part them taking turns standing up and praying what could only be described as a "Rameumptom prayer".

Pretty interesting stuff.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #17
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Been to several myself. I played in several sports tournaments at Masters College (the former LA Baptist College). Often times in between games or pool play they'd give some sort of talk. I had several friends participate in Young Life and attended several of their activities that usually had some sort of sermon given as part of the activity. As far as I know Young Life is non-denominational.

Aside from Catholic mass, my favorite church was a Hispanic Evangelical church called La Iglesia de Cristo El Shaddai. It was an evangelical church complete with rock band. I was called out by the pastor, given the holy ghost, and sent home with a loaf of bread with a sticker on that read "el pan de vida."

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #18
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

The last church service I attended on my mission was at a Kingdom Hall.

Attended plenty of Buddhist and Shinto stuff while on my mission.

My in-laws are mostly Catholic, so I'm pretty familiar with the Mass by now.

While on vacation once, we couldn't find a Mormon Church so we had a choice of Protestant or Catholic. We opted for Protestant (bordering on charismatic, but not fully there). Next time I'm going with Catholic.

I've watched an awful lot of Ernest Amesly, Oral Roberts, Jimmy Swaggert, et al in my time.

My most memorable attendance at another denomination involved my inlaws right after we were married. We had just moved to Washington DC and my in-laws were coming to visit. They were going to be with us on Sunday so there was a concern over what to do about church (my wife had just converted from her parents' Catholicism and religion was a very touchy subject). Luckily my wife was scheduled to work at the hospital that day, so the pressure was off of her. As a peace gesture I thought it would be nice to take them to a grand Catholic edifice for Mass. My wife agreed.

New in town, I opted for the Washington National Cathedral, given its prominent place in the Washington DC skyline and it's beautiful gothic architecture, reminiscent of those grand European cathedrals. What better way to impress the in-laws? We arrived for the 11:00 service and sat somewhere near the back. The interior was impressive, the stained glass beautiful; this was going to be great.

The procession started and I noticed something odd: some of those involved were carrying banners for the "St. Mark's Episcopal Church of Annandale" and the "St. John's Episcopal Church of Bethesda." I turned to my sister-in-law and asked why banners for Episcopal churches were present at a Catholic Church service. She shrugged, not seemingly bothered by it all. As I turned back to observe the service I was struck by the most nauseating epiphany known to man: I had mistakenly brought my Italian Catholic in-laws to an Episcopalian service. Sweating bullets I started searching every piece of printed material I could find to verify my revelation, the missalette, the songbook, the weekly bulletin. The National Cathedral does a good job of hiding its denominational affiliation, but I eventually confirmed my fears. Meanwhile my father-in-law was making himself at home, telling the sound guy we couldn’t hear that well in the back.

The big question was what to do. Should I reveal my mistake and get us all out of there? Or should I ride it out, hoping my in-laws didn’t realize my error? After all, the Episcopal service looked very much like the Mass, in fact identical as far as I could tell. My in-laws seemed none the wiser. In fact, as I pondered my dilemma, they all got up and took Holy Communion. That gave me the confidence needed to wimp out and keep my mouth shut. And I’ve kept it shut ever since. To this day I still don’t think they realize what happened.

This is what happens when we let naïve Mormons loose into the world. There really should be some kind of law.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-01-2007 at 02:03 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
The last church service I attended on my mission was at a Kingdom Hall.

Attended plenty of Buddhist and Shinto stuff while on my mission.

My in-laws are mostly Catholic, so I'm pretty familiar with the Mass by now.

While on vacation once, we couldn't find a Mormon Church so we had a choice of Protestant or Catholic. We opted for Protestant (bordering on charismatic, but not fully there). Next time I'm going with Catholic.

I've watched an awful lot of Ernest Amesly, Oral Roberts, Jimmy Swaggert, et al in my time.

My most memorable attendance at another denomination involved my inlaws right after we were married. We had just moved to Washington DC and my in-laws were coming to visit. They were going to be with us on Sunday so there was a concern over what to do about church (my wife had just converted from her parents' Catholicism and religion was a very touching subject). Luckily my wife was scheduled to work at the hospital that day, so the pressure was off of her. As a peace gesture I thought it would be nice to take them to a grand Catholic edifice for Mass. My wife agreed.

New in town, I opted for the Washington National Cathedral, given its prominent place in the Washington DC skyline and it's beautiful gothic architecture, reminiscent of those grand European cathedrals. What better way to impress the in-laws? We arrived for the 11:00 service and sat somewhere near the back. The interior was impressive, the stained glass beautiful; this was going to be great.

The procession started and I noticed something odd: some of those involved were carrying banners for the "St. Mark's Episcopal Church of Annandale" and the "St. John's Episcopal Church of Bethesda." I turned to my sister-in-law and asked why banners for Episcopal churches were present at a Catholic Church service. She shrugged, not seemingly bothered by it all. As I turned back to observe the service I was struck by the most nauseating epiphany known to man: I had mistakenly brought my Italian Catholic in-laws to an Episcopalian service. Sweating bullets I started searching every piece of printed material I could find to verify my revelation, the missalette, the songbook, the weekly bulletin. The National Cathedral does a good job of hiding its denominational affiliation, but I eventually confirmed my fears. Meanwhile my father-in-law was making himself at home, telling the sound guy we couldn’t hear that well in the back.

The big question was what to do. Should I reveal my mistake and get us all out of there? Or should I ride it out, hoping my in-laws didn’t realize my error? After all, the Episcopal service looked very much like the Mass, in fact identical as far as I could tell. My in-laws seemed none the wiser. In fact, as I pondered my dilemma, they all got up and took Holy Communion. That gave me the confidence needed to wimp out and keep my mouth shut. And I’ve kept it shut ever since. To this day I still don’t think they realize what happened.

This is what happens when we let naïve Mormons loose into the world. There really should be some kind of law.
That's a great story.