cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default What's wrong with Trent/JT at 5/4?

I see this developing as a starting lineup over the next two years. Miles will be the primary back up for both positions. With Lee as a great rebouding 3, who can also block some shots, what's wrong with this lineup and what could be better?

Frankly, I'm very excited at the prospects of a Trent/JT/Cummard front line for the next two years.

Why even consider moving Trent to a 4?

Solidifying the guard line is a much higher priority.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the big question is who is at the 2?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I see this developing as a starting lineup over the next two years. Miles will be the primary back up for both positions. With Lee as a great rebouding 3, who can also block some shots, what's wrong with this lineup and what could be better?

Frankly, I'm very excited at the prospects of a Trent/JT/Cummard front line for the next two years.

Why even consider moving Trent to a 4?

Solidifying the guard line is a much higher priority.
I think Miles very well may redshirt next year. With Miles' late return, I don't think he will come home until about mid August, he will have a ways to go to get into shape and become even remontely effective. I would like to have him play, but I wonder if he will be ready.

How much does anyone think Chris Collinsworth from Provo High could contribute as a true freshman? If he is an impact player like JTav or Jackson Emery, I think it more likely Miles redshirts. Runnutz is a hoops coach out that way and he really, really likes Collinsworth. Supposedly the kid is a great athlete and has great ballhandling skills. I know he has been banged up a lot this year but he sounds like he is a kid that is really blooming as he is growing into his body, I understand he went from 6'1" to 6'9" between his sophmore to junior year.

If Collinsworth can be depended upon for 10-15 mpg, I think we see BYU play these 10 guys next year:
5: Plaisted/MacGregor (I think he will be better next year than Vuk)
4: Tavernari/Collinsworth/Plaisted
3: Otero/Tavernari/Burgess
2: Cummard/Burgess
1: Murdock/Fredette

I am still nervous about pg for next year, but Murdock is starting to look like he can be a steady pg.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the big question is who is at the 2?
If Tavernari starts at the 4, I think Otero and Cummard will start on the wings and Burgess will be the primary sub.

I also think Fredette could see some minutes as a 2. If not for the fact that I think PG is the hardest position for a freshman to come in and contribute, I would predict that I think Fredette will have a similar impact as JTav and Jackson Emery.

Fredette will be a hell of a college basketball player from about his sophmore year on. I think his progression will be similar to Lee Cummard's. We will be expecting the world out of him once he arrives, especially because of the open situation at his position. However, he will struggle and probably get a bit shaken up as a freshman and lose some confidence like Lee did. But by the time he is a sophmore and has some experience the cream will rise.

I really hope Murdock can give BYU a steady 20-25 minutes next year.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Tavernari was leaving on a mission after this year?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think Miles very well may redshirt next year. With Miles' late return, I don't think he will come home until about mid August, he will have a ways to go to get into shape and become even remontely effective. I would like to have him play, but I wonder if he will be ready.

How much does anyone think Chris Collinsworth from Provo High could contribute as a true freshman? If he is an impact player like JTav or Jackson Emery, I think it more likely Miles redshirts. Runnutz is a hoops coach out that way and he really, really likes Collinsworth. Supposedly the kid is a great athlete and has great ballhandling skills. I know he has been banged up a lot this year but he sounds like he is a kid that is really blooming as he is growing into his body, I understand he went from 6'1" to 6'9" between his sophmore to junior year.

If Collinsworth can be depended upon for 10-15 mpg, I think we see BYU play these 10 guys next year:
5: Plaisted/MacGregor (I think he will be better next year than Vuk)
4: Tavernari/Collinsworth/Plaisted
3: Otero/Tavernari/Burgess
2: Cummard/Burgess
1: Murdock/Fredette

I am still nervous about pg for next year, but Murdock is starting to look like he can be a steady pg.
If Collinsworth is good, he should be able to play right away. College BB is a game where freshman can make immediate impact.

Murdock has played better lately, but I'm going to hold out hope for something better. I'm banking on Fredette.

Here's what I'm planning/hoping for

5. Plaisted
4. JT/Miles/Collinsworth
3. Cummard/Burgess
2. Otero/Burgess
1. Fredette/Murdock

I think Cummard is too good on the boards to try to move to a 2. But Otero sounds like a Cummard clone (but likely not as good) so they may be interchangeable at the 2/3.

I expect nearly every minute Plaisted gets to be at the 5. And nearly every minute JT gets to be at the 4.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I thought Tavernari was leaving on a mission after this year?
I understand he has no plans to do anything of the sort.

However, the LDS kids at the U plan to serve missions...deep down inside I respect the U's kids more.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I understand he has no plans to do anything of the sort.

However, the LDS kids at the U plan to serve missions...deep down inside I respect the U's kids more.
I truly admire Rose's genius in identifying those lads who don't serve so that Utah can recruit the truly devout ones.

Tav will become a great basketball missionary, bless his Brazilian heart. If we can just keep him away from those religion instructors. (I almost wrote professors, but it is not accurate to describe most of them as professors).
Old 02-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

My very early guess as to the starting lineup next year:

Chris Miles gets home too late to be a factor next season. I believe he gets home in late August/Early September....I'm gonna guess that he redshirts.

Starting lineup:

Jimmer Fredette
Jonathan Tavernari
Lee Cummard
Trent Plaisted
Jean Carlos Otero

Keep in mind BYU is likely to sign 1-2 more players after the season in March/April...both likely JC guys.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
My very early guess as to the starting lineup next year:

Chris Miles gets home too late to be a factor next season. I believe he gets home in late August/Early September....I'm gonna guess that he redshirts.

Starting lineup:

Jimmer Fredette
Jonathan Tavernari
Lee Cummard
Trent Plaisted
Jean Carlos Otero

Keep in mind BYU is likely to sign 1-2 more players after the season in March/April...both likely JC guys.

Why is Miles coming home so late? Does that mean he didn't leave until October? Is he that young?