cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone read Talmage's Jesus the Christ?

I've decided that it is something I should read, so I'm going to tackle it.

Any thoughts or suggestions about how to get the most of it from those who've read it would be appreciated.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I took a class from Dr. John Hall at BYU, who had some unkind things to say regarding Jesus the Christ. (The book, not the person.) It is heavily dependent on Farrar's "The Life of Christ" and perpetuates quite a few errors that were in that work while giving an LDS perspective on his study. "Jesus the Christ" is now almost 100 years old, and so lacks the benefit of modern research.

Having said that, "Jesus the Christ" is very helpful in allowing the reader to sequence the events of the life of Christ and significantly aids study of the New Testament texts themselves. There's plenty to be learned from it, notwithstanding its weaknesses.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #3
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I thought that it was astounding, especially as it explains Jesus' parables.

Seems like I heard something about Talmage writing part of it in the SLC Temple Holy of Holies.

Just as an idea, it might be useful to read the 4 gospels first.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
fuegote

fuegote

To me it was a labor of love. It took my 7 attempts to finally read the whole book, but once I got through it....it's a great read.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Seems like I heard something about Talmage writing part of it in the SLC Temple Holy of Holies.
Not quite. The forward to the current version of Jesus the Christ states that he was given an "office" in the Salt Lake Temple to write in after his initial efforts to write the book were frustrated by frequent interruptions.

Excellent book, by the way. I've read it 4 or 5 times.

[/brag]
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I enjoyed it but haven't compared it to Farrar's

and obviously oblivious to errors it perpetuates.

BTW, I suppose I'm the only idiot that also read it in German. It took me several months of companion study to get through it with a dictionary. For some reason, it was supposed to be a big deal to read it, and the standard works in German. The five books of Moses in German are something to behold, especially 3 and 4 Moses, or Leviticus and Numbers.

I'd be interested in knowing what the errors are.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
jlm252

jlm252

I read it while in the mission field. It is a good book but it does have VERY flowery language (he used a lot of words I had never heard before) and I am not sure I agreed with everything he said. IT's good though and you won't be sad you read it.
jlm252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I read it over a 3 month span during my mission.

It felt like I was reading stereo instructions with how slow and deliberate things were.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I read it and will likely read it again one day, but man it felt like a marathon getting through that thing.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
I took a class from Dr. John Hall at BYU, who had some unkind things to say regarding Jesus the Christ. (The book, not the person.) It is heavily dependent on Farrar's "The Life of Christ" and perpetuates quite a few errors that were in that work while giving an LDS perspective on his study. "Jesus the Christ" is now almost 100 years old, and so lacks the benefit of modern research.
Do you still have your notes from that class? I'd love to read a little bit about that. And I'm sure you've got nothing better to do than to post your old religion notes on cougarguard. But hey, it's worth a shot.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I read this book in a week. One of the best books I have ever read. It took me a few times to start. But once I committed myself to reading it through it became like a harlequin romance novel in the relief society president's hands to me. I could not put it down. The notes that accompany each chapter demonstrate how much Talmage leaned on Farrar, but that does not detract from the spirit of the biography or Talmage's own interpretation therof. A must read.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote