cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I suppose it is, but I have faithfully paid my tithing, usually managing my money well, but payments in the pike have come at opportune times. Whether it is comical or not, my faith is such that I believe some aspect of heaven had a hand in it. The principles of financial management I attribute directly to the good teachings of the Church.
Good point Arch. Same here, I've had too many blessings that I feel I can personally attribute to paying my tithing to just simply shrug my shoulders about it. I can also attest to my own personal experiences when I haven't payed it.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Here's a serious Mormon myth

From Dallin H. Oaks and Marvin S. Hill, "Carthage Conspiracy: The Trial of the Accused Assassins of Joseph Smith." 217-220:

A persistent Utah myth holds that some of the murderers of Joseph and Hyrum Smith met fittingly gruesome deaths -- that Providence intervened to dispense the justice denied in the Carthage trial. But the five defendants who went to trial, including men who had been shown to be leaders in the murder plot and others associated with them, enjoyed notably successful careers. ...

Mark Aldrich was elected to three terms in the upper house of the [Arizona] territorial leg-islature, acting during the 1866 term as its president. He died in Tucson at the age of sev-enty-three. ... William N. Grover was appointed U.S. attorney for the eastern district of Missouri. He was still living [in Warsaw, Illinois] in 1890, prosperous and respected. ... Thomas Sharp ... was unsuccessful as a Republican candidate for Congress in 1856, but in 1865 he was elected to a four-year term as judge of Hancock County, where he was “greatly esteemed”. ... [He] died in 1894 at the age of eighty. ...
Orville H. Browning, the leader of the defense, was one of the founders of the Republican party, and in 1860 he played a significant role in securing the Republican presidential nomination for Abraham Lincoln. In 1861 he served an interim appointment in the Senate until the state legislature filled the vacancy created by the death of Stephen A. Douglas, and he acted as “Lincoln’s mouthpiece” in the Senate during this period. President An-drew Johnson named Browning secretary of the interior in 1866.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
From Dallin H. Oaks and Marvin S. Hill, "Carthage Conspiracy: The Trial of the Accused Assassins of Joseph Smith." 217-220:

A persistent Utah myth holds that some of the murderers of Joseph and Hyrum Smith met fittingly gruesome deaths -- that Providence intervened to dispense the justice denied in the Carthage trial. But the five defendants who went to trial, including men who had been shown to be leaders in the murder plot and others associated with them, enjoyed notably successful careers. ...

Mark Aldrich was elected to three terms in the upper house of the [Arizona] territorial leg-islature, acting during the 1866 term as its president. He died in Tucson at the age of sev-enty-three. ... William N. Grover was appointed U.S. attorney for the eastern district of Missouri. He was still living [in Warsaw, Illinois] in 1890, prosperous and respected. ... Thomas Sharp ... was unsuccessful as a Republican candidate for Congress in 1856, but in 1865 he was elected to a four-year term as judge of Hancock County, where he was “greatly esteemed”. ... [He] died in 1894 at the age of eighty. ...
Orville H. Browning, the leader of the defense, was one of the founders of the Republican party, and in 1860 he played a significant role in securing the Republican presidential nomination for Abraham Lincoln. In 1861 he served an interim appointment in the Senate until the state legislature filled the vacancy created by the death of Stephen A. Douglas, and he acted as “Lincoln’s mouthpiece” in the Senate during this period. President An-drew Johnson named Browning secretary of the interior in 1866.
there's still time for the debt to be payed.

don't the scriptures say, even unto the 4th generation?

God works in mysterious ways . I don't presume to understand them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

There's an entire book dedicated to this topic:

The fate of the persecutors of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Lundwall.

I read it about 20 years ago. I understand that LDS historians hate it (for the most part).
Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
There's an entire book dedicated to this topic:

The fate of the persecutors of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Lundwall.

I read it about 20 years ago. I understand that LDS historians hate it (for the most part).
So, as is the case in most other matters, the guilty got off scott-free and innocent were murdered. That's what I would ordinarily predict. Justice is mythical.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Yeah, but how are they doing NOW?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:52 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So, as is the case in most other matters, the guilty got off scott-free and innocent were murdered. That's what I would ordinarily predict. Justice is mythical.
You obviously haven't read the book. They weren't convicted in a court of law, but each died a gruesome, horrible, painful death later in life.

(according to Lundwall anyway).
Old 02-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.meridianmagazine.com/clas...sclassics.html

Quote:
Dallin H. Oaks and Marvin S. Hill's Carthage Conspiracy: The Trial of the Accused Assassins of Joseph Smith (University of Illinois, 1975), this scholarly study finally replaced and eclipsed the sensational collection of dubious accounts about the perpetrators of the martyrdom compiled by N.B. Lundwall in The Fate of the Persecutors of the Prophet Joseph Smith.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Justice is mythical. Most times the evil perpetrators profit from their crimes, leaving the innocent to wallow in poverty.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yeah, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story?