cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Take a lane or not?

For you experienced road riders, when on a narrow road or one without a shoulder do you take the lane or not? why?

Yes, it's allowed and I believe it's safer.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-07-2007 at 09:02 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Not usually. We've got enough pissed off drivers around here as it is. I've seen several go near-postal when riders have tried to take the lane on a narrow road with no shoulder.

I usually ride just far enough to the left of the fog line to make it an uncomfortable pass for the driver if it is a windy road with a blind corner coming up. I don't know if this is more safe or not, but it has worked pretty well in the past. That, and I always try to shoot a quick wave as they are passing to try and build some cycling good will for future reference.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
creekster

I would offer my thoughts but Archaea has chosen to do so for me. ABuse of powers I say, abuse!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:02 AM   #4
bluegoose

Yes, whats up with that? And at 2:02 in the morning!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I would offer my thoughts but Archaea has chosen to do so for me. ABuse of powers I say, abuse!
I don't how that happened. I clicked on the wrong button. Sorry about that.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
bluegoose

Creek, we never heard exactly how you handle a small shoulder.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
creekster

I was busy this weekend and today so not too much time to respond. This topic is a tough one for me. It is discussed ad nauseum on the touring and tandem (and probably other) list serves and there are as many opinions as there are cyclists, it seems. Most hardcore bike advocates take Arch's position, which is that you should take the lane, where legally entitled to do so, as this is safer than trying to stay on the side and encouraging cars or, worse, RVs to pass by squeezing by you. (in fact, most of the deaths or serious injuries to cyclists that are reported on the touring bike list serve seem to result from getting smacked by the mirrors on RVs driven by inexperienced drivers.)

I personally do the following:

1. If possible, avoid roads where there is no shoulder and narrow lanes.

2. If the road is narrow/shoulder-less, and you have no reasonable alternative, take the lane where necessary but only as long as needed and only for safety reasons. For example, if you are chugging up some climb on the coast (chugging along slowly is a concept alien to BG, Arch and our old but absent friend Q), try to avoid taking the lane. If you are on the coast or in the mountains and the edge of the road is a cliff, I will not ride so close to ti that some retiree with bad eyes can nudge me over. I will take the lane and force them to wait. OTOH, if I can see it is clear to pass, I Will move toward the edge and then motion them to pass.

3. On a descent on a windy road, I am very likely tot ake the lane. If I am at, near or over the posted speed limit, I Will almost always take the lane.

4. Where there are no safety issues, and if I am not at or near the posted limit, I Will typically not take the lane, for the reasons BG mentioned. I usually don't wave, except at intersections or other places where the gesture is accompanied by unambiguous body language and facial expressions, because drivers sometimes think a wave is a 'gesture' if you know what I mean.

This is a tough call. That's why I was curious what others think.

Last edited by creekster; 04-09-2007 at 06:34 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote