cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default The Pursuit of Happyness

First, I gotta say, Will Smith has turned into a pretty good actor. This is easily his best performance to date. I think Oscar worthy, though I doubt he'll get a nod because he plays such a subdued character.

The movie was very good, though somewhat depressing, actually, it was extremely depressing 90% of the time. I guess that's the point though, it was about the "pursuit" of happiness, sometimes you never attain it.

Ultimately, it is a very inspiring film about family, hard work, and perserverance, but it sure is heartbreaking for the first two hours, seeing what he and his son (Smith's real life son plays the role, and did a great job) go through. I was emotionally drained by the end.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
First, I gotta say, Will Smith has turned into a pretty good actor. This is easily his best performance to date. I think Oscar worthy, though I doubt he'll get a nod because he plays such a subdued character.

The movie was very good, though somewhat depressing, actually, it was extremely depressing 90% of the time. I guess that's the point though, it was about the "pursuit" of happiness, sometimes you never attain it.

Ultimately, it is a very inspiring film about family, hard work, and perserverance, but it sure is heartbreaking for the first two hours, seeing what he and his son (Smith's real life son plays the role, and did a great job) go through. I was emotionally drained by the end.

It was a good flick. It was little too excruciating for the payoff, though.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I'm pretty sure he was nominated for best actor and lost to Forrest Whitaker.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'm pretty sure he was nominated for best actor and lost to Forrest Whitaker.
Oh he was? Shows you how in touch I am. I've been to the movie theater 3 times in the last 3 years, so I'm usually at least 6 mos behind.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7384