cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default My Lost theory major spoilers

I should probably label my spoilers better.

OK, I'm trying to formulate a reasonable theory based on stuff I've been reading on Lost blogs.

Overriding principles/problems/facts:

1. The Others have a ton of resources at their disposal.
2. The Others have referred to themselves as the good guys enough to make you believe there's something to the notion.
3. The Others have undergone incredible/dramatic research on the Losties. Why?
4. Apparently there was a piece on info on one of the official Lost websites that alluded to the Hanso organization as a defense contractor doing work in a top secret area of the Pacific Ocean and had taken over the rescue search of flight 815.
5. Penny's dad is owner of organization which controls Hanso which ran Dharma.
6. Problem: Others continue to imply that they were a renegade group that took over Dharma's initiative on the island. But how could the Others be so connected with so many resources?
7. Problem: All the Losties are incredibly interrelated in their backstories.

Put this together and this is my stab.

Hanso developed the Dharma initiative which was originally to be psychological experiements and study. They discovered the island had mysterious, strange powers. OR they were experimenting with some chemistry and physics and somehow altered the island to generate these mysterious, strange powers. At that point, they organized a coup, killing off the Dharma team so that they couldn't make public the info on the special powers of the island. So Dharma was Hanso. And now the Others are Hanso, but involved with a different project--one that is defense/military or something scientitic. This creates the powerful incentive to keep things secret. That is why they had the incentive to do all the crazy, complicated research on the Losties lives. No one that ever comes to the island is ever allowed to leave. The Others believe their project is of major importance and has a greater good, therefore they call themselves the good guys even though they don't use good methods.

Penny is independently looking for Desmond with the Portugese team. The cord on the island Hurley pulled signaled a satellite beam that the team picked up on, and rushed a helicopter in to drop the girl down.

It's not purgatory. It's not an alternate universe. Flight 815 was not discovered and everyone was found dead. That part is a Hanso/DOD coverup. The Others did not lead the Losties to the island. Before the plane crash they had no knowledge of any of them. The Losties connection to each other the island (i.e. Hurley's numbers and Eko's brother) are completely random except for in a supernatural, fate, karma way.

Another problem: for all the resources the Others appear to have at their fingertips, they are using them in awfully strange ways. i.e. bring Locke's dad to the island for dramatic effect to manipulate Locke into doing whatever they need him to do, rather than just do whatever they need Locke to do forcefully with said resources.

I have next to zero confidence in this theory but it's the best one I can forge right now.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I should probably label my spoilers better.

OK, I'm trying to formulate a reasonable theory based on stuff I've been reading on Lost blogs.

Overriding principles/problems/facts:

1. The Others have a ton of resources at their disposal.
2. The Others have referred to themselves as the good guys enough to make you believe there's something to the notion.
3. The Others have undergone incredible/dramatic research on the Losties. Why?
4. Apparently there was a piece on info on one of the official Lost websites that alluded to the Hanso organization as a defense contractor doing work in a top secret area of the Pacific Ocean and had taken over the rescue search of flight 815.
5. Penny's dad is owner of organization which controls Hanso which ran Dharma.
6. Problem: Others continue to imply that they were a renegade group that took over Dharma's initiative on the island. But how could the Others be so connected with so many resources?
7. Problem: All the Losties are incredibly interrelated in their backstories.

Put this together and this is my stab.

Hanso developed the Dharma initiative which was originally to be psychological experiements and study. They discovered the island had mysterious, strange powers. OR they were experimenting with some chemistry and physics and somehow altered the island to generate these mysterious, strange powers. At that point, they organized a coup, killing off the Dharma team so that they couldn't make public the info on the special powers of the island. So Dharma was Hanso. And now the Others are Hanso, but involved with a different project--one that is defense/military or something scientitic. This creates the powerful incentive to keep things secret. That is why they had the incentive to do all the crazy, complicated research on the Losties lives. No one that ever comes to the island is ever allowed to leave. The Others believe their project is of major importance and has a greater good, therefore they call themselves the good guys even though they don't use good methods.

Penny is independently looking for Desmond with the Portugese team. The cord on the island Hurley pulled signaled a satellite beam that the team picked up on, and rushed a helicopter in to drop the girl down.

It's not purgatory. It's not an alternate universe. Flight 815 was not discovered and everyone was found dead. That part is a Hanso/DOD coverup. The Others did not lead the Losties to the island. Before the plane crash they had no knowledge of any of them. The Losties connection to each other the island (i.e. Hurley's numbers and Eko's brother) are completely random except for in a supernatural, fate, karma way.

Another problem: for all the resources the Others appear to have at their fingertips, they are using them in awfully strange ways. i.e. bring Locke's dad to the island for dramatic effect to manipulate Locke into doing whatever they need him to do, rather than just do whatever they need Locke to do forcefully with said resources.

I have next to zero confidence in this theory but it's the best one I can forge right now.
What if the others crashed a different jet on purpose and said it was the flight 815? That way, people would stop looking for them.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
What if the others crashed a different jet on purpose and said it was the flight 815? That way, people would stop looking for them.
I'm fine with that as well.

I'm also OK with the US government (with zero Hanso/Others involvement) out of sheer frustration out of not being able to find the missing plane, falsifying evidence or a report of the lost plane. It's all a stretch but I'm afraid the final reality is going to include a lot of stretches.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

I still think that this is the hollow earth thing, and they're inside the earth, not somewhere in the pacific. As for everything else...too weird to figure out.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

There's also some speculation out there that Ethan may not be dead...when Hurly pointed out where Ethan was burried, Juliet got a little smirk on her face and with Patch dude back (he was better as the bad guy in Toy Soldiers), it appears that the others have a tough time actually dying.