cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RIjs makes it official;

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 05-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It's going to look like the Euros are taking the high road while the Americans are fighting it all the way. Leipheimer better be careful he doesn't have anything stronger then GU in his system during this coming TDF.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
creekster

Good point. It becomes increasingly difficult to believe that American success, as dramatic as it has been, has been fueled only by hard work and technology. There was an interesting thread on the Bicycling Forums where they described some of the drug problems more recent TdF winners have had indications of drug problems. Indurain, for example,tested positive for an asthma drug that is known to be a masking agent, and even Hinault has referred to use of 'des medicins' to help him. Lemond seems to be squeaky clean, but almost all others since and some before (FIgnon, for example) have had clear signs of drug use. Armstriong is still only implicated thourgh inference, but can further revelations be far behind?

Oddly, almost all of this is EPO type doping, which is not what Landis is accused of.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Lemond has said that in his final couple of years something was clearly different about the rest of the field. He says he was in what he felt was the same great condition but people were starting to blow him away. He feels that this was the beginning of the doping era and it ended his career.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the fact that 1) Lance won in the doping era and 2) there is a lot of smoke around Lance (impugned doctor, former team member) indicates, at least in my mind, that Lance was a doper.

I don't trust Lance.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of great charity here.

How will you feel if it could be proven Lance did it clean while others did it to keep up?

For my love of the sport, I won't allow this to tarnish and I won't be surprised if Lance did, but I also won't be surprised if he were clean.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Lots of great charity here.

How will you feel if it could be proven Lance did it clean while others did it to keep up?

For my love of the sport, I won't allow this to tarnish and I won't be surprised if Lance did, but I also won't be surprised if he were clean.

How would I feel if LA was clean? Elated (yes, I probably take this sport too seriously). But it is increasingly hard to beleive that he was assistance free, eh? I have an open mind. LAis the greatest story in sports from the last decade or more. Yet it looks more and more implausible that he was clean. Remeber, in the earlier tours he abso-stinkin'-lutley throttled his doped compeitition.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If you take a performance-enhancing substance that is not banned or not even really known about, and it has a unique mechanism (vs. the clear which didn't), is that doping?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote