cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Santos is under the illusion that we live in a competitive scheduling vacuum and that whichever teams are looking for late season OOC games are going to hold off until we get our schedule set first.
Could you get down to reality and tell me exactly what about my proposed schedule could go wrong. You guys are enveloped in this vague fear of the unknown and not looking at the details. You have Utah and Utah State, you only need four more games the last half of the season.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
#1 -- We couldn't get a game with Notre Dame until 2020 at the earliest...they schedule that far out. Holmoe has made that abundantly clear when he was setting the record straight with any future games against ND that they've been trying to schedule.
OK, let's say ND's out.

Quote:
#2 -- What makes you think these other teams from the MWC are gonna want to schedule us after we leave them behind? Most would not. To be honest...if we went Independent I wouldn't want to keep scheduling them anyway. New and fresh blood would be nice.
Money talks. I'll give you "most would not". Let's say we get Wyoming and UNLV for Oct/Nov schedule.

Quote:
#3 -- Have ya seen Navy's schedule? They have Temple, Duke, North Texas, Ball State, Delaware, Northern Illinois. Basically the VERY worst of I-A is on there surrounded by their normal rivalry games with ND, Rutgers and the other Academies.
So they'd be happy to take us then. Add Navy or Army to the last half schedule. We're now up to 5: Army/Navy, Utah, Utah State, Wyoming, UNLV

Quote:
#4 -- Our schedule would be Utah, Utah State, an occasional BCS team and then a pile of garbage like the North Texas and Dukes of the world. Yippee. That's no better that what our schedule is like now.
We've never had a problem scheduling OOC games against BCS schools. First six weeks of the year would be Boise State, 4 BCS schools, and a non D1AA prep game.

Quote:
#5 -- I know in your mind it's just that simple, but the factual reality of the situation is scheduling is not simple no matter how much you'd like to think it is, especially later in the year. You're just automatically assuming that the regional teams in close by states are just gonna automatically want to throw us on their schedule at a whims notice.
I just accepted all your assumptions and created an awesome schedule.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
OK, let's say ND's out.

Money talks. I'll give you "most would not". Let's say we get Wyoming and UNLV for Oct/Nov schedule.

So they'd be happy to take us then. Add Navy or Army to the last half schedule. We're now up to 5: Army/Navy, Utah, Utah State, Wyoming, UNLV

We've never had a problem scheduling OOC games against BCS schools. First six weeks of the year would be Boise State, 4 BCS schools, and a non D1AA prep game.

I just accepted all your assumptions and created an awesome schedule.
So, what if the MWC scheduling Gods locked Utah up through November? Would you want the BYU/UU game played at the first of the year?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
So, what if the MWC scheduling Gods locked Utah up through November? Would you want the BYU/UU game played at the first of the year?
That's not how scheduling is done. You tell the conference what dates you have locked up for OOC and they work with the rest.

If Utah doesn't want to play BYU in November, we don't have to play you. We'll replace you with Hawaii. You can remain on the MTN playing the MWC schedule.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
That's not how scheduling is done. You tell the conference what dates you have locked up for OOC and they work with the rest.

If Utah doesn't want to play BYU in November, we don't have to play you. We'll replace you with Hawaii. You can remain on the MTN playing the MWC schedule.
I'm just throwing out a hypothetical...sheesh.

Let's say the cougs march on to independence and the MWC makes an immediate move to add Boise St, Nevada, whomever...and they say, we want Utah/Boise St. to be the big rivalry game at the end of the season...that takes away the Thanksgiving slot for BYU/Utah. That's all I'm saying.

BYU isn't going independent, so this is all moot, but fun to talk about I suppose. I actually think that if anything is being "worked on" BYU and Utah are probably working together and united in either A) getting the conference to do something or B) finding a better option.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Holmoe and Co. are actually secretly hoping that the fan base will come around and accept the mtn for what it is, and that they are actually pretty happ with it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

Santos, I think you're up in the night on this one. I think the goal of being independent would be to get on TV, no?

How many of those games would be seen in oh, let's say, Cleveland, OH?

Currently, a BYU fan could have seen 6 games nationally this season. Could it be better certainly, but going independent would be suicidal.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #18
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Santos, I think you're up in the night on this one. I think the goal of being independent would be to get on TV, no?

How many of those games would be seen in oh, let's say, Cleveland, OH?

Currently, a BYU fan could have seen 6 games nationally this season. Could it be better certainly, but going independent would be suicidal.
11 of Navy's games were on national television through either CSTV or NBC (Notre Dame) If Navy can get an exclusive TV deal with CSTV I think BYU could get a deal with Versus or CSTV as an Indy. Hell maybe they can even sell some games to ESPN. The point is that Notre Dame is not the only independent to get on national TV.

http://navysports.cstv.com/sports/m-...tbl-sched.html
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Has BYU71 given your plan his enthusiastic endorsement?
No!! Since you and I are on the same side of this one and you can call up facts and figures better than I, I am letter you carry the water on this argument.

Besides, I was stupid enough to buy options this morning for the first time in 9 months. I fell off the wagon and am presently getting my ass kicked.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
11 of Navy's games were on national television through either CSTV or NBC (Notre Dame) If Navy can get an exclusive TV deal with CSTV I think BYU could get a deal with Versus or CSTV as an Indy. Hell maybe they can even sell some games to ESPN. The point is that Notre Dame is not the only independent to get on national TV.

http://navysports.cstv.com/sports/m-...tbl-sched.html
You might be right. Of the 3 independents - Notre Dame has a good schedule with a great TV contract, Navy has a crappy schedule with a good TV contract, and does Army still have a football team?

I'm not sure which of these 3 BYU would fit in to, but if we were to go independent we'd have to fit somewhere between ND and Navy for Cougar Nation to be happy.

I'm just highly skeptical it would all work out how we'd want it.

Plus, I like being in the MWC. It's fun.