cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Data on OOC scheduling by week of the season

week ooc games
1 66
2 52
3 52
4 39
5 24
6 12
7 12
8 8
9 10
10 9
11 5
12 8
13 7
14 2

This is from last season. Week 1, there were 66 games where D1 teams played OOC game. BYU-Arizona game counts as one. Reason why it is more than .5 * 120 is that some teams are playing non-D1A school.

So week 9, there were 10 games and 20 of the 119 D1 teams playing an OOC game.

week ooc games
1 66 Pac 10
2 52 non D1A
3 52 Pac 10
4 39 Big XII
5 24 eastern BCS school
6 12 Boise St
7 12 bye
8 8 Army/Navy
9 10 Notre Dame
10 9 Wyoming/UNLV/SDSU
11 5 Utah State
12 8 bye
13 7 Utah
14 2 ASU/AZ/Hawaii

Absolutely no problem scheduling like this.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

BYU's schedule would be littered with Eastern Washington types...especially the 2nd half of the season, if they chose to go Independent.

People think the schedule sucks now. They've yet to see the level suckiness it would plummet to if that happened.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a lot of underestimating of the difficulty of putting together a schedule and a lot of overestimating BYU's cachet the value it has in getting reputable teams to make openings for them after mid-October.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There's a lot of underestimating of the difficulty of putting together a schedule and a lot of overestimating BYU's cachet the value it has in getting reputable teams to make openings for them after mid-October.
It's interesting the mindset those have of thinking that other programs are just gonna automatically go..."Well hey...BYU's an independent....let's automatically schedule them". They assume any team will just say..."Hey okay."

Scheduling is a lot more difficult than many realize.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
BYU's schedule would be littered with Eastern Washington types...especially the 2nd half of the season, if they chose to go Independent.
STOP SAYING THAT. Would you please tell me what makes you think that. What about my schedule proposal makes you think the second half would be littered with EWU types. If you notice, I don't have ANY. Where am I wrong?

Which of the following teams would we have a tough time scheduling last half of the season?

Utah
Utah State
Hawaii -- they want us so badly they'll schedule us whenever
ASU/Arizona -- Dec 1 game when conf championships are going on. Great TV game.
Wyoming--attendance goes up 30% when we're in town
UNLV ditto
SDSU ditto
CSU ditto
Army
Navy
Notre Dame
random BCS school--at least a handful every Saturaday are playing OOC games in Oct/Nov

We position our byes for November/late October.

To me this is so obviously simple, I just am not understanding where you and others that think like you are coming from.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of creating a 'rivalry' with, oh, say, Arizona. DO we have any sense that they care or are interested? How many years in a row can we schedule them? I find the analysis to be rather surprising as to just how few late season slots are available. I think the 2nd half of the season would be very tough to schedule, especially over time and especially if we have even moderate success.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
STOP SAYING THAT. Would you please tell me what makes you think that. What about my schedule proposal makes you think the second half would be littered with EWU types. If you notice, I don't have ANY. Where am I wrong?

Which of the following teams would we have a tough time scheduling last half of the season?

Utah
Utah State
Hawaii -- they want us so badly they'll schedule us whenever
ASU/Arizona -- Dec 1 game when conf championships are going on. Great TV game.
Wyoming--attendance goes up 30% when we're in town
UNLV ditto
SDSU ditto
CSU ditto
Army
Navy
Notre Dame
random BCS school--at least a handful every Saturaday are playing OOC games in Oct/Nov

We position our byes for November/late October.

To me this is so obviously simple, I just am not understanding where you and others that think like you are coming from.
#1 -- We couldn't get a game with Notre Dame until 2020 at the earliest...they schedule that far out. Holmoe has made that abundantly clear when he was setting the record straight with any future games against ND that they've been trying to schedule.

#2 -- What makes you think these other teams from the MWC are gonna want to schedule us after we leave them behind? Most would not. To be honest...if we went Independent I wouldn't want to keep scheduling them anyway. New and fresh blood would be nice.

#3 -- Have ya seen Navy's schedule? They have Temple, Duke, North Texas, Ball State, Delaware, Northern Illinois. Basically the VERY worst of I-A is on there surrounded by their normal rivalry games with ND, Rutgers and the other Academies.

#4 -- Our schedule would be Utah, Utah State, an occasional BCS team and then a pile of garbage like the North Texas and Dukes of the world. Yippee. That's no better that what our schedule is like now.

#5 -- I know in your mind it's just that simple, but the factual reality of the situation is scheduling is not simple no matter how much you'd like to think it is, especially later in the year. You're just automatically assuming that the regional teams in close by states are just gonna automatically want to throw us on their schedule at a whims notice.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 11-08-2007 at 04:07 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Santos is under the illusion that we live in a competitive scheduling vacuum and that whichever teams are looking for late season OOC games are going to hold off until we get our schedule set first.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
jay santos

Let's break it down. 14 week season.

Any problems scheduling six games over the first six weeks? I think that's agreed this would be no problem.

So then we need six games over an eight week time period early/mid October to first week in Dec. Any problems with any of these options? Choose 6 out of this 11.

1. Utah

2. Utah State

3. Hawaii--they're desperate to get us on the schedule and they juggle their late season schedule around a lot

4,5,6. Can we schedule one or a few out of Wyoming, SDSU, UNLV, CSU, UNM, Nevada for second half of season? Remember Notre Dame has played USC, Stanford, BYU, Tennessee, UCLA, North Carolina, BC, Pitt during this time period recently. If they can get all these schools to drop their conference schedule to play them, can't we do the same for a certain group. i.e. is BYU to Wyoming/Nevada a similar prestige ratio as Notre Dame to Stanford/Tennessee/UCLA?

7,8. BCS schools play some non-rivalry non-traditional OOC games last half of season. Could we get at least one or two per year?

9. Army or Navy

10. Notre Dame

11. Non D1AA
Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Let's break it down. 14 week season.

Any problems scheduling six games over the first six weeks? I think that's agreed this would be no problem.

So then we need six games over an eight week time period early/mid October to first week in Dec. Any problems with any of these options? Choose 6 out of this 11.

1. Utah

2. Utah State

3. Hawaii--they're desperate to get us on the schedule and they juggle their late season schedule around a lot

4,5,6. Can we schedule one or a few out of Wyoming, SDSU, UNLV, CSU, UNM, Nevada for second half of season? Remember Notre Dame has played USC, Stanford, BYU, Tennessee, UCLA, North Carolina, BC, Pitt during this time period recently. If they can get all these schools to drop their conference schedule to play them, can't we do the same for a certain group. i.e. is BYU to Wyoming/Nevada a similar prestige ratio as Notre Dame to Stanford/Tennessee/UCLA?

7,8. BCS schools play some non-rivalry non-traditional OOC games last half of season. Could we get at least one or two per year?

9. Army or Navy

10. Notre Dame

11. Non D1AA
Has BYU71 given your plan his enthusiastic endorsement?