cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Socially the church will always be at least a generation behind the rest of the country.

Civil rights didn't come until 1978. And now 30 years later some in the church are finally starting to discuss whether there *might* have been racism in the church in the past.

30 years from now, it would not shock me to see the official gay policy be different.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Do you work with many/any LDS members who are struggling with SSA?
None. I only have one patient.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It begs the question...but I wont ask it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Interesting he pulls the 500K number out of his ass (no pun intended) and then doesn't show anything to back it up with.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I kept on a patient from residency that really wanted to continue to see me and didn't have insurance.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Socially the church will always be at least a generation behind the rest of the country.

Civil rights didn't come until 1978. And now 30 years later some in the church are finally starting to discuss whether there *might* have been racism in the church in the past.

30 years from now, it would not shock me to see the official gay policy be different.
The Church's stance has already become more proactive. In recent conferences, we have heard Apostles urge members to entend a hand of fellowship to those with SSA and to behave warmly towards them, as opposed to the social and emotional ostracism that often occurs in our culture when someone either messes up, comes out, or struggles with testimony.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The Church's stance has already become more proactive. In recent conferences, we have heard Apostles urge members to entend a hand of fellowship to those with SSA and to behave warmly towards them, as opposed to the social and emotional ostracism that often occurs in our culture when someone either messes up, comes out, or struggles with testimony.
Would they feel the same way about a gay couple attending church, as non-members or exed-members?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Interesting he pulls the 500K number out of his ass (no pun intended) and then doesn't show anything to back it up with.
Some estimate that about 5% of folks are gay.

If you wanted to be much more conservative in your estimate, and guessed that 1% of members are gay, then you would be at about 130,000 gays in the church.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
How do you document such things? It would be like estimating how many people struggle with the Word of Wisdom.

My guess is that the methodology was rudimentary, but not entirely bereft of reason......these Church members note membership and attendance data at "church-affiliated" SSA help groups, then extrapolate nationally or globally based on population.

of course, as you eloquently point out, absent official tracking measures, how can his 500K estimate be considered accurate? It does sound high, but imagine if it were not. Wow.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Would they feel the same way about a gay couple attending church, as non-members or exed-members?
Would the Apostles feel the same way? I have no idea.

Culturally, our church doesnt seem ready for that to occur. However, playing along with your hypothetical, how would a gay couple attending Church be much different than a straight couple? Heteros sit next to each in Sacrament. I usually dont see much kissing or intimacy in Church meetings.

where it would be interesting would be in a Sunday School environment. Let's say the lesson is about relationships or harmony in the home or something like that. A gay couple talking openly about gay issues would surely not be welcome, I would think.