cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Zing.
It's funny that the two of you are guilty of the exact thing you complain about. But in your case it is witty, but when "Mormon" is used, it's not ironic/witty.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's funny that the two of you are guilty of the exact thing you complain about. But in your case it is witty, but when "Mormon" is used, it's not ironic/witty.
Unfortunately Mike, it's not witty it's sad. It's a zing not in the name of humour but in the name of poignancy.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"Guilty of the exact thing"? I simply used the logical extension of the approach used by Le Batard to point out why associating Beck with his religion was unnecessary and improper, since you appeared to be too dense to understand the point tooblue was trying to make.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #14
tooblue

Quote:
so in the gallup poll just conducted where Romney only got 9% of the GOP, are you suggesting that 81% are anti-Mormon?

I don't believe that.

Evangelicals are voting for their Baptist preacher. Rich people overwhelmingly voted for Romney. Unfortunately for Romney, there aren't as many rich people as evangelicals, at least in Iowa.

To what degree there is distaste for Romney's Mormonism, and his pandering to the religious right, I'm not sure. His pandering to the religious right, for example, has bothered me.
I'm not just addressing evangelicals anymore -it seems to be EVERYONE! Why can't he run and even be disparaged as a the rich businessman from some snooty eastern state ... he is a Mormon running for president who happens to be a rich business man.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Is this crusade to point out every perceived instance of anti-mormon sentiment and use as evidence of widespread bigotry your new reason for living?
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #16
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Is this crusade to point out every perceived instance of anti-mormon sentiment and use as evidence of widespread bigotry your new reason for living?
All sides of the story should be represented. Is it your goal on this message board to denegrate in place of engage? Engage other posters, argue and contend, and push past the insecurities of your tenuous positions.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #17
woot

Quote:
All sides of the story should be represented. Is it your goal on this message board to denegrate in place of engage? Engage other posters, argue and contend, and push past the insecurities of your tenuous positions.
It's crazy how often you use accusations of your exact behavior as your main argument. How many threads have there now been where I've begged you to make an argument rather than your usual innuendo and personal observations?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
It's crazy how often you use accusations of your exact behavior as your main argument. How many threads have there now been where I've begged you to make an argument rather than your usual innuendo and personal observations?
Woot, you are not winning. You are not going to win anything. There is nothing to win.

You want me to play by your's or someone's rules -why? Your idea of validation is limited. Pointing out such and the narrow nature of the focus in your comments is not a personal attack. It is a function of particpation on this board.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
woot

Quote:
Woot, you are not winning. You are not going to win anything. There is nothing to win.

You want me to play by your's or someone's rules -why? Your idea of validation is limited. Pointing out such and the narrow nature of the focus in your comments is not a personal attack. It is a function of particpation on this board.
No clue what you're going on about.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #20
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You certainly use a lot of words to say nothing. Reading your posts reminds me of what Truman Capote's said about Jack Kerouac. He said, "That's not writing, that's typing."
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote