cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #31
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
That's not karma.

People reward people they like. If you're likeable or perceived as competetent, you will be found useful. That's why we can actually comport ourselves they way we discourse here. Nobody would be found likeable.

What you describe is more of a social currency engendered by good will, which as you know is a business concept which you can even book and write off on your accounting books. It's an acceptable intangible. But it's not the traditional notion of karma, which is basically, if you do good, somehow it will redound to you by virtue of good vibrations reverberating through the cosmos.
karma is the opposite of grace.

grace is unmerited favor or getting something even though you didn't deserve or earn it.

karma is receiving favor based on what you earned or worked for. what comes around goes around = karma. eye for an eye is karma. getting a job because you know someone and they like you is karma. getting rich or making it in life because you worked for it is karma.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
If you reject Deity, that is the only logical alternative, matters based on empirical fact. Faith in anything else is illogical.

Where has justice worked itself over the Middle East? There is no eternal justice and if it exist, it exists in the next realm.
So you think that because I (for myself) reject Mormonism's high flown claims I reject diety? Typical.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
So you think that because I (for myself) reject Mormonism's high flown claims I reject diety? Typical.
Most of your claims seem to reject the overall concept of God. You don't reject the concept of God? Nothing you have ever written, that I have read, would ever suggest a belief in anything but science. And thanks for the slam, it's nice of you to contribute and to continue to denigrate mormonism in the process.

I don't care what version of it, you accept, but this is a new revelation that you accept there are beings or forces which are yet unexplained by science that also affect humanity's destiny and purpose. So you're not completely a godless cretin from mars, just half-cretin.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-11-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote