cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #51
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
OK. I respect McCain for serving in the military. I'm grateful to him for going to Vietnam to fight. I respect him for not going home when he had the chance. I don't respect him for fighting to prolong the Iraq War, and I won't call him a hero.
How did you go from being big Romney cheerleader to thinking McCain is the devil incarnate and Obama the messiah?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #52
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Looking strictly at someone's military service, what would make that person a hero for you? What exactly is your threshold?

More specifically, given the circumstances under which McCain served and fought, is there anything about that service that we should not honor?
I'd say putting one's own life at significant risk to save someone else's life. Maybe he did that and I'm wrong.

The Vietnamese man who saved and protected McCain was a hero. According to this article, McCain neglected the man. But maybe the article is a load of crap?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aved-life.html

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 09-13-2008 at 06:36 AM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #53
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
How did you go from being big Romney cheerleader to thinking McCain is the devil incarnate and Obama the messiah?
I had a chance to vote for Romney, and I voted for Obama. I wanted Romney to win the Republican nomination for personal reasons, but I didn't vote for him.

Fine, I concede. McCain is a hero (sort of).
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #54
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
I'd say putting one's own life at significant risk to save someone else's life. Maybe he did that and I'm wrong.

The Vietnamese man who saved and protected McCain was a hero. According to this article, McCain neglected the man. But maybe the article is a load of crap?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aved-life.html
You are nitpicking. He put his life at significant risk when he strapped himself into the plane.

As for the story, maybe McCain is silent because he remembers things differently and doesn't want to embarrass the man or his family. From the article:

Quote:
Indeed, claiming to have saved McCain had by then become something of a cottage industry in Hanoi.

The story was also confirmed by the Vietnamese government.
Yes, the same Vietnamese government that claims that no torture took place at the Hanoi Hilton. When McCain visited in 1996, they had photos of happy prisoners and captions explaining how wonderfully they were treated. To his hosts' horror, McCain became angry and told the press that the tour was full of lies and misinformation.

This line of attack on McCain will get you nowhere, my friend.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #55
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You are nitpicking. He put his life at significant risk when he strapped himself into the plane.

As for the story, maybe McCain is silent because he remembers things differently and doesn't want to embarrass the man or his family.
Good point JL. You and I were young when these men came home. Many were broken beyond their ability to endure. I suspect for every McCain, there is another that couldn't advance beyond the mental and physical torture. A POW came home to our community with severe mental problems. Not the heroic image that was being painted, and quite the shock for a young kid at the time. That McCain endured this all and went on to achieve what he did is an amazing feat. That he has moved beyond and seemingly forgiven those that treated him so horribly is even more amazing.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #56
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Romney was the ideal candidate.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #57
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

McCain is an American hero. I won't dispute that.

John Glenn is also an American hero. I would think many conservatives would vigorously assert that wouldn't make him qualified to be President.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #58
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
John Glenn is also an American hero. I would think many conservatives would vigorously assert that wouldn't make him qualified to be President.
But that's an entirely different argument. SoonerMudphud is trying to argue that McCain isn't a hero in the first place.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #59
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
But that's an entirely different argument. SoonerMudphud is trying to argue that McCain isn't a hero in the first place.
Just turning the argument around a little... You're not suggesting changing topics is verbotten here, are you?
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #60
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I mean, literally, like a lot of liberals, Mudphud's income comes from government largess
Oh, Seattle, back off. MudPhud coulda been finished with his MD and already gone into plastics by now and be making a fortune. But he's adding a PhD to do research and he'll be in school forever and he in the meantime he hardly makes anything. And even when he finishes, with the cuts into the NSF he'll be lucky to get grants at all. So can it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote