cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #71
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Adam all of your posts of full of half truths. Maybe that is why you have zero credibility.

1. Tens of thousands of dollars of tithing money?
2. He should have been kicked out after his previous felonies? Are traffic tickets felonies?
3. He spent the night in jail (is 1 hour and 19 minutes a night?)
4. He is a bad influence on other players? (this has been refuted by numerous sources)

You have no evidence of anything you are saying, you ar throwing out nonesense, at first I thought you were trolling, but I think you are serious. How can someone that questions every little thing about the church who Robin says has beliefs closest to his own, say that kids that make mistakes should immediately be kicked out of school?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #72
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If you go back to my original Tonga post when he was previously arrested for his previous felonies you will see that from day one I have always said it is about attitude.

If they go away for a year and come back a different, then they are a different person and I would welcome the new person back with open arms.

I don't know enough about Kozlowski or Mahe to know if they just waited out their time and came back or if they had a change of heart. It is impossible for me to know--just as I am not saying Tonga should never be allowed back. I'm just saying he should have been kicked off when he previously got caught committing felonies.

For instance, Tonga II, the burgle-buddy, if he has a sincere change of heart, I hope he comes back. But if he doesn't, I hope he goes far away from the BYU football program. It has little to do with time out and everything to do with a change of heart imho.
The basic problem is you refuse to look at Manase's entire body of work. He has many redeeming qualities and has done many good things as a BYU player. That should weighed against some of the mistakes he has made.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #73
cougjunkie

Quote:
If you go back to my original Tonga post when he was previously arrested for his previous felonies you will see that from day one I have always said it is about attitude.

If they go away for a year and come back a different, then they are a different person and I would welcome the new person back with open arms.

I don't know enough about Kozlowski or Mahe to know if they just waited out their time and came back or if they had a change of heart. It is impossible for me to know--just as I am not saying Tonga should never be allowed back. I'm just saying he should have been kicked off when he previously got caught committing felonies.

For instance, Tonga II, the burgle-buddy, if he has a sincere change of heart, I hope he comes back. But if he doesn't, I hope he goes far away from the BYU football program. It has little to do with time out and everything to do with a change of heart imho.
Why do you insist on calling expired registration a felony? giving a false name is also a misdemeanor (eventhough he was never charged for this), failure to yield misdemeanor.

At least get your facts straight.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #74
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The basic problem is you refuse to look at Manase's entire body of work. He has many redeeming qualities and has done many good things as a BYU player. That should weighed against some of the mistakes he has made.
No he doesnt the whole team hates him and thinks he is a bad influence.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #75
cougjunkie

Quote:
http://saas.byu.edu/depts/finAid/costs.aspx

So approximately $45k for three years, assuming he never attended during spring/summer terms. And you have to add in the value of the football coaching and medical treatment he has received.
That is strictly paid for with tithing money? Football does not have any revenue? Archaea said you were a member of the cougar club, what about all of the scholarship donors? Last year BYU had over 100 donors that single handedly supported a scholarship athlete.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #76
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
http://saas.byu.edu/depts/finAid/costs.aspx

So approximately $45k for three years, assuming he never attended during spring/summer terms. And you have to add in the value of the football coaching and medical treatment he has received.

LOL, you actually think scholarships are paid with tithing money.

Tonga and other football players easily pay for their scholarships through the money they bring into the University.

If you bring in your high moral no problem guys and lose a few more games a year, maybe we will have to start dipping into tithing.

You pie in the sky lib types sure have difficulty with how the capitalistic system works.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #77
cougjunkie

Quote:
I didn't charge him the cost of LES or the cost of his pads or the cost of the weight room or indoor practice facility. Just the cost of his scholarship and housing and medical. Maybe I shouldn't have added in the coaching. I'll retract the value of the coaching and attribute that to football revenue/donors.
So what about athletic scholarship donors? Steve Smith at Utah pays for one full scholarship every year for a reciever.

BYU has over 100 scholarship donors that pay each year for a full scholarship to a particular player.

Also the cougarclub has so many members this year that if you are not a cougarclub member you will most likely not end up with sideline seats according to the ticket office. I am guessing this subsidizes a lot of the schollie money as well.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #78
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The BYU football program is not self sufficient.
BYU71 is useful here because he's a walking encyclopaedia of all the old myths. His is the sunnier, blander companion volume to grapevine's dark tome.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #79
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The BYU football program is not self sufficient.
It is my understanding the athletic department is self sufficient. Are you saying that the other athletic programs are subsidizing the football program.

In addition, do you think contributions to the general BYU fund are up since BYU football has come back. Please, with all your calls for no mental laziness and your pride in your own intelligence, stop embarassing yourself on these financial matters.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #80
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You people's continued inability to decipher the difference between handing out BYU football scholarships and other unrelated interactions is truly scaring me. I fear for our church and our country if this reasoning ability is indicative of the average Mormon or average American.
I'm with you.

Perhaps it would be in the Church's best interest to drop intercollegiate athletics?

I say yes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote