cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Zilog

Zilog is on a distinguished road
Default Tonga Ruled Ineligible

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=10790

I'm just a lurker on this site.. But thought I'd post this one..

Tonga Ruled Ineligible
by Jeff Reynolds, BYU Athletic Communications

PROVO, Utah (May 12, 2008) -- BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall today announced senior running back Manase Tonga has been ruled academically ineligible to compete during the 2008 season. Tonga has been suspended from the University and may re-apply for admission in October for Winter Semester, 2009. Tonga will redshirt the 2008 season.

"Not having Manase with us this coming season is disappointing and hurts our program; however, our program is designed so that the next player in line will step in and contribute at a high level," Mendenhall said. "I'm confident Manase will take the necessary steps to restore his eligibility and be able to return to the team next season."

The 6-foot, 238-pound native of San Mateo, Calif., saw action in 12 of the Cougars' 13 games last season and was credited with 88 carries for 305 yards and eight touchdowns.

Makes me wonder if So'oto might be switched to fullback.. I know he did it a few times last year.. Think Bronco would let him do offence and defence
Zilog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Adam should be happy.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9819
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I have gone on the record in the past saying that I don't want the BYU football team populated with young men like the Tonga boys who can't do the basics of keeping themselves out of trouble.

I was roundly jumped on by nearly all for being too harsh and too cold and too judgmental.

After numerous scrapes with the law and the honor code and the academic standards, BYU has stayed with Tonga Sr. and now it has gotten burned.

And so we lose Tonga, our #2 running back, for next year and the scholarship will go wasted for the year.

We are not deep enough or strong enough or good enough to waste scholarships on marginal characters who just don't have the mental and moral discipline to not get arrested and maintain a 2.0 average in the PE major at BYU. Get rid of them. Fast. Don't look back.

Playing at BYU is an honor that has to be earned, not an right anyone, even Tonga is entitled to. I couldn't play for BYU because I wasn't fast or strong enough. It is just as legitimate to take a fast strong young man and say they can't play for BYU because they are not mentally and morally disciplined enough.

I hope Bronco doesn't have other Tongas waiting in the wings to betray the team with their stupidity.

And I hope the best for Tonga. I don't hate him or wish him ill personally. I hope he is happy and successful in life. But he has hurt the team needlessly and that is a shame. If Unga goes down with an injury and Fui is not more effective than he was last year, we would be hurting at running back (please DJ be as good as advertised).
Your positions like this is why I get such a good laugh out of your down on the church and liberal positions. I first noted this way back when you had some bleeding heart post on CB and your love for BYU and it's stringent standards.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have gone on the record in the past saying that I don't want the BYU football team populated with young men like the Tonga boys who can't do the basics of keeping themselves out of trouble.

I was roundly jumped on by nearly all for being too harsh and too cold and too judgmental.

After numerous scrapes with the law and the honor code and the academic standards, BYU has stayed with Tonga Sr. and now it has gotten burned.

And so we lose Tonga, our #2 running back, for next year and the scholarship will go wasted for the year.

We are not deep enough or strong enough or good enough to waste scholarships on marginal characters who just don't have the mental and moral discipline to not get arrested and maintain a 2.0 average in the PE major at BYU. Get rid of them. Fast. Don't look back.

Playing at BYU is an honor that has to be earned, not an right anyone, even Tonga is entitled to. I couldn't play for BYU because I wasn't fast or strong enough. It is just as legitimate to take a fast strong young man and say they can't play for BYU because they are not mentally and morally disciplined enough.

I hope Bronco doesn't have other Tongas waiting in the wings to betray the team with their stupidity.

And I hope the best for Tonga. I don't hate him or wish him ill personally. I hope he is happy and successful in life. But he has hurt the team needlessly and that is a shame. If Unga goes down with an injury and Fui is not more effective than he was last year, we would be hurting at running back (please DJ be as good as advertised).
What numerous brushes with the law are you talking about? The one time he was pulled over and didnt want to go to jail the night before his wedding so he panicked and gave a fake name, almost immediately retracting what he said to the police officer?

Are there more incidents that you know about?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

1. "Gotten burned"? Seems a little strong take.

2. I, for one, hope that BYU takes as many "marginal" kids as spots are available, assuming they're the best players available at that position, and continues to have unprecedented success in helping them become better people.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
What numerous brushes with the law are you talking about? The one time he was pulled over and didnt want to go to jail the night before his wedding so he panicked and gave a fake name, almost immediately retracting what he said to the police officer?

Are there more incidents that you know about?
He had a warrant out for his arrest for Parking Tickets! PARKING TICKETS! We let those types of hoodlums run around at BYU?

I wonder what happened... because you have to try (and by try I mean not try at all) to completely fail out of school.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilog View Post
http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=10790

I'm just a lurker on this site.. But thought I'd post this one..

Tonga Ruled Ineligible
by Jeff Reynolds, BYU Athletic Communications

PROVO, Utah (May 12, 2008) -- BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall today announced senior running back Manase Tonga has been ruled academically ineligible to compete during the 2008 season. Tonga has been suspended from the University and may re-apply for admission in October for Winter Semester, 2009. Tonga will redshirt the 2008 season.

"Not having Manase with us this coming season is disappointing and hurts our program; however, our program is designed so that the next player in line will step in and contribute at a high level," Mendenhall said. "I'm confident Manase will take the necessary steps to restore his eligibility and be able to return to the team next season."

The 6-foot, 238-pound native of San Mateo, Calif., saw action in 12 of the Cougars' 13 games last season and was credited with 88 carries for 305 yards and eight touchdowns.

Makes me wonder if So'oto might be switched to fullback.. I know he did it a few times last year.. Think Bronco would let him do offence and defence
I don't think So'Oto will be permanently moved to FB - he's too critical for the LB corps this year.

Actually, this could improve the opportunity for the likes of JJ to see the field more, with Unga at the FB position. What we'll miss most, IMO, is his blocking.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 05-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Spaz

Quote:
(please DJ be as good as advertised).
I can see just how closely you follow the football team...

Old 05-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Yes.
Liar.

I call your bluff.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
1. BYU loses a scholarship player for next year's team. That is pretty harsh punishment imho.

2. I would rather win or lose with good kids, then take marginal ones and score a few more touchdowns. Honestly, I'd take a third loss in both of the last two years to not have had to hear once about a BYU football player breaking down apartment doors or getting arrested etc.
Thank goodness mullah's like you don't run the show.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote