cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Filsdepac

Filsdepac is on a distinguished road
Default Gangland on the History Channel

Anyone watch this show? I watched an episode last night about the Nuestra Familia in NorCal, and it was really interesting. I remember in Jr. High and High School in the 90s there were a lot of XIV taggings around town, and I knew it was gang related, but didn't realize how big it was.

For those that don't know, XIV is 14 and N is the 14th letter in the alphabet. N is for Norte, or North, and the gang is a huge rival of the Mexican Mafia in LA. I was fascinated by the structure of the whole thing, they have a gang constitution, recruiters, and an org chart. I was just waiting to see if an accounting firm has given an opinion on their internal controls.

Anyway, interesting show for those who are naive to what's going on, like me.
Filsdepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filsdepac View Post
Anyone watch this show? I watched an episode last night about the Nuestra Familia in NorCal, and it was really interesting. I remember in Jr. High and High School in the 90s there were a lot of XIV taggings around town, and I knew it was gang related, but didn't realize how big it was.

For those that don't know, XIV is 14 and N is the 14th letter in the alphabet. N is for Norte, or North, and the gang is a huge rival of the Mexican Mafia in LA. I was fascinated by the structure of the whole thing, they have a gang constitution, recruiters, and an org chart. I was just waiting to see if an accounting firm has given an opinion on their internal controls.

That is a good show, so is American Gangster (the tv show, not the movie), Its amazing how structured most of these gangs are.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filsdepac View Post

I saw the episode about the Hells Angels organization.

2 men, 1 an FBI Agent, and the other an Informer, decided to infiltrate the gang in AZ and it was stunning to see what depths they'd go to and how violent they would have to be in order to get the Hells Angels to trust them and the 2-3 year process it takes to even be inducted into their group.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

when are they going to have an episode about jefe and bernard and thibious and all the other minions on cb?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I saw the episode about the Hells Angels organization.

2 men, 1 an FBI Agent, and the other an Informer, decided to infiltrate the gang in AZ and it was stunning to see what depths they'd go to and how violent they would have to be in order to get the Hells Angels to trust them and the 2-3 year process it takes to even be inducted into their group.
If this is the same one I saw, the most disheartening part was the lack of remorse shown by the Hells Angels who were now in prison.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
If this is the same one I saw, the most disheartening part was the lack of remorse shown by the Hells Angels who were now in prison.
Yep, it was the same one. Even in Prison they're revered as an authority figure and big decisions will often be ran by them for approval.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Yep, it was the same one. Even in Prison they're revered as an authority figure and big decisions will often be ran by them for approval.
The one that was the Sergent at Arms was who really perplexed me. If he knew the guy was a cop from the beginning and he's the one who makes the decision whether to allow a new "recruit" - for lack of a better term - into the gang, why did it let it happen?

The cop really struggled with it. It turned out that the Hells Angels really did care about him and loved him as a family member, but he had to do his job because he knew that despite their loyalty to each other, bottom line is that they are criminals.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch the film Donnie Brasco.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote