cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Comment from Gospel Doctrine

Indy, don't get too upset about the complaining. I love church. I love BYU football too and always have. I just sometimes like to vent on things here and there, and anonymous online message boards are a decent place.

Topic was us misunderstanding Jesus. One comment was that if we were raised in hard ass Mormon homes, we might believe Jesus wants to judge and condemn us. This was quickly combatted with:

"The way a lot of people I know misunderstand Jesus is to think he will love you no matter what. You can do anything and you'll be OK."

This got kudos from the instructor and sparked several other comments of the same variety.

Very sad.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds as if both sides oversimplify the discussion. I would be out the door in nothing flat.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It sounds as if both sides oversimplify the discussion. I would be out the door in nothing flat.
I don't mind oversimplification. This misguided sister trashing on our friends and implying that Jesus does not love them in their sin is flat out false doctrine.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't mind oversimplification. This misguided sister trashing on our friends and implying that Jesus does not love them in their sin is flat out false doctrine.
Unconditional love and unconditional acceptance are two different things, however they seem to be used interchangeably on occassion. I think this is one of those times.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Unconditional love and unconditional acceptance are two different things, however they seem to be used interchangeably on occassion. I think this is one of those times.
Agree...
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
jay santos

The point I find sad is that of the people in that room, your good wholesome church attending Utah county type...

99% have been more negatively affected in their lives by erring more on believing that Jesus is harsh and judgemental than by erring that he is forgiving and accepting.

But the discussion went right past that and focused on the error of perceiving Jesus as too loving, which puts us in the comfortable position of wondering what's wrong with our less active and "sinning" neighbors or family members instead of focusing on ourselves.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The point I find sad is that of the people in that room, your good wholesome church attending Utah county type...

99% have been more negatively affected in their lives by erring more on believing that Jesus is harsh and judgemental than by erring that he is forgiving and accepting.

But the discussion went right past that and focused on the error of perceiving Jesus as too loving, which puts us in the comfortable position of wondering what's wrong with our less active and "sinning" neighbors or family members instead of focusing on ourselves.
It is aaron schaff's fault.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

How do you control people. Either through punishment or reward. Another might be through love, but it doesn't work quickly, the other two do.

As humans we want to punish or reward. Therefor the concept of "they" get hammered and "I" will be blessed is easier to deal with.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 AM   #9
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
How do you control people.
Hopefully you don't
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Indy, don't get too upset about the complaining. I love church. I love BYU football too and always have. I just sometimes like to vent on things here and there, and anonymous online message boards are a decent place.

Topic was us misunderstanding Jesus. One comment was that if we were raised in hard ass Mormon homes, we might believe Jesus wants to judge and condemn us. This was quickly combatted with:

"The way a lot of people I know misunderstand Jesus is to think he will love you no matter what. You can do anything and you'll be OK."

This got kudos from the instructor and sparked several other comments of the same variety.

Very sad.
It's at times like this I shudder at being associated with some Mormons.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote