cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #31
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
Just out of curiousity, does that mean you now consider Fox News to be liberal?
If you want me to consider an entire post, you need to have it there before I respond to it.
stonewallperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #32
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewallperry
If you want me to consider an entire post, you need to have it there before I respond to it.

I hope this isn't your response...
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #33
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
I hope this isn't your response...
"For fun, the poll asked voters to pick between Sen. Clinton and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and, if the election were held today, Clinton would top President Bush’s brother handily: 51 percent to 35 percent.

Overall, only a handful of voters think Jeb Bush would make a good president. About one in five (22 percent) think the governor would make a good choice and 57 percent disagree. As Jeb Bush is relatively unknown to many Americans, it’s a safe bet that much of the reaction is based on his last name and Bush fatigue."

First, including him in the poll "for fun" is a little different.

Second, and completely unrelated...(and we've had this discussion before), if polling is accurate, then why the discrepancy (in some areas, large discrepancy) between the two polls.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #34
Cali Coug

Quote:
"For fun, the poll asked voters to pick between Sen. Clinton and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and, if the election were held today, Clinton would top President Bush’s brother handily: 51 percent to 35 percent.

Overall, only a handful of voters think Jeb Bush would make a good president. About one in five (22 percent) think the governor would make a good choice and 57 percent disagree. As Jeb Bush is relatively unknown to many Americans, it’s a safe bet that much of the reaction is based on his last name and Bush fatigue."

Second, and completely unrelated...(and we've had this discussion before), if polling is accurate, then why the discrepancy (in some areas, large discrepancy) between the two polls.
Ah, I see. So including his name in a poll all hinges on the intent of the parties. Fox just did it for fun, the evil liberal media did it out of malice (which you are able to positively discern in this instance). Are you aware that the fun Fox News is having has extended to about five other such polls?

As to your unrelated point, the questions are different so the answer will be different.

The Fox Poll asked if Jeb would make a good president. That isn't the same as asking if someone would "definitely vote for" Jeb. A person could think Jeb would make a good president, but Romney would make a better one, so they would be more likely to vote for Romney.

I forgot you thought that polls were all bogus. How you can explain that is beyond me.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #35
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
Ah, I see. So including his name in a poll all hinges on the intent of the parties. Fox just did it for fun, the evil liberal media did it out of malice (which you are able to positively discern in this instance). Are you aware that the fun Fox News is having has extended to about five other such polls?

As to your unrelated point, the questions are different so the answer will be different.

The Fox Poll asked if Jeb would make a good president. That isn't the same as asking if someone would "definitely vote for" Jeb. A person could think Jeb would make a good president, but Romney would make a better one, so they would be more likely to vote for Romney.

I forgot you thought that polls were all bogus. How you can explain that is beyond me.
I'm not alone in thinking that. Also, I think the questions were more similar that you would have us believe...and I can totally swallow that given the relative small sample size of the people polled that a discrepancy like this could reasonably exist, which is the problem I have with polls.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #36
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
At this point you should probably just concede.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #37
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
At this point you should probably just concede.
That might be the smart thing to do
Old 06-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #38
Cali Coug

Quote:
I'm not alone in thinking that. Also, I think the questions were more similar that you would have us believe...and I can totally swallow that given the relative small sample size of the people polled that a discrepancy like this could reasonably exist, which is the problem I have with polls.

All of which is irrelevant to your main point that the liberal media is just trying to take swipes at Jeb by including him in polls, even though your beloved Fox News has done the exact same thing multiple times.

Polling is based on mathematical principles. It isn't exact, but it is amazingly precise once you factor in the margin of error. Your opinion doesn't hold up well to science here.

Take the last word. Everyone else is already bored with this topic, and now I am too.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #39
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
All of which is irrelevant to your main point that the liberal media is just trying to take swipes at Jeb by including him in polls, even though your beloved Fox News has done the exact same thing multiple times.

Polling is based on mathematical principles. It isn't exact, but it is amazingly precise once you factor in the margin of error. Your opinion doesn't hold up well to science here.

Take the last word. Everyone else is already bored with this topic, and now I am too.
I've been bored with for more than a few posts...
Old 07-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #40
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not alone in thinking that.
Yeah, and that wacko down in San Diego took a few people with him to the spaceship flying behind that comet. He wasn't alone in his thinking, either.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote