cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
they need to either phase out singles wards or change the rules. Whether they want to pay attention to it or not, it's a fact people are getting married older these days. Once people leave the YSA ward it takes a pretty solid grounding in the gospel to not go inactive or only partially active, and for those who hit the dreaded age of 30 the church provides basically no social options. Sending them to the same singles group their parents or grandparents are in doesn't make much sense to me or anyone I know.
I never once dated a girl from one of my student/single wards. That's why I don't like your theory.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Doctrine and Covenants 90:11

I suppose one could argue that this scripture pertains only to missionary work...
I think the alternative is to allow more languages to be used within the ward. Some wards are doing it now and providing headphones for spanish or other languages for the members who need it, as well as Sunday School classes in other languages. I've found that most of the time it is the English speakers who have a problem with the wards being more inclusive. I think the problem with segregating members is that the English speakers and non-English speakers benefit from knowing each other when they're in the same ward, and that opportunity is lost if they are kept separate.

Last edited by BlueK; 10-07-2008 at 07:12 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I know nothing about this issue. But my automatic default is a policy favoring disbanding LDS institutions.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I never once dated a girl from one of my student/single wards. That's why I don't like your theory.
where did you live in your single days? If you say Utah, then you're just making the case for singles wards not being necessary there.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
where did you live in your single days? If you say Utah, then you're just making the case for singles wards not being necessary there.
Mostly Provo. College Station. Houston.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #16
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It shall come to pass that there will be separate groups, set aside from the rest, where the gospel will be weak, and no boys will become missionaries, and no girls marry in the temple, and yea, their progrency will wax weaker until they are no more numbered among his sheep.
And the group to the north habitating along the narrow neck of land shall wax strong in riches and in faith, building large houses of all varieties and public spaces filled with fountains and lights, sending their children to all manner of camps created Especially For Youth, but those who clean their houses, and chlorinate their fountains, and cook their food at the camps, shall be set apart and mingle not, and partaking not in the abundant honey and fruit native to the narrow neck of land.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
YES, with Sacrament meeting, RS opening excercises, and PH opening excercises being conducted in English and headphone translations being made available to those in need. A ward could offer optional spanish speaking lessons for adult SS , RS , and PH. All YM/YW meetings should be conducted in English.

No doubt some may waiver and go inactive in the beginning, but in the long run the congregation as whole will prosper.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote