cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I watched the first Pirates movie and it was terrible, but it was the type of terrible that is funny and mildly entertaining. It was worth watching for the purpose of mocking it. Full disclosure, I was drunk when I watched the movie.

By the time the second Pirates movie was out, I had cleaned myself up and given up drinking alcohol. My roommate was going to see the movie in the theater. I decided I had nothing else to do so I went along. The movie was pure torture. It was long, boring, and it tried so hard to be funny and failed miserably. I couldn't even enjoy this one on the level of a bad movie. I sat there thinking if ever I was going to start drinking again it would be noow to endure this movie that never wants to end. Everyone I went with loved the movie. Many people I talked to about the movie loved it. I started to wonder if the world had gone insane.

I decided to avoid the pain of seeing the third one.

On another note a few weeks later my roommate went to see Lady in the Water. Again I was invited and went because I was bored and had nothing better to do. At this point I decided never to see another movie chosen by my roommate. This one managed to be even worse.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. The second one less. And the third was one of the worst movies I have ever paid to see.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I watched the first Pirates movie and it was terrible, but it was the type of terrible that is funny and mildly entertaining. It was worth watching for the purpose of mocking it. Full disclosure, I was drunk when I watched the movie.

By the time the second Pirates movie was out, I had cleaned myself up and given up drinking alcohol. My roommate was going to see the movie in the theater. I decided I had nothing else to do so I went along. The movie was pure torture. It was long, boring, and it tried so hard to be funny and failed miserably. I couldn't even enjoy this one on the level of a bad movie. I sat there thinking if ever I was going to start drinking again it would be noow to endure this movie that never wants to end. Everyone I went with loved the movie. Many people I talked to about the movie loved it. I started to wonder if the world had gone insane.

On another note a few weeks later my roommate went to see Lady in the Water. Again I was invited and went because I was bored and had nothing better to do. At this point I decided never to see another movie chosen by my roommate. This one managed to be even worse.
Lady in the Water is a boil on the buttocks of Hollywood. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

M. Night Shymalan really lost it with that one.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Such as?
What do you mean? Pick a movie. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Spiderman, whatever. Each little fantasy world has a set of rules (different from the "real world") that the audience has to buy into. Violate those rules, and it breaks their ability to "suspend disbelief."

Quote:

With the exception of the first movie (I actually enjoyed it), this exactly describes my feelings about number 2. I declined to see the 3rd.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
What do you mean? Pick a movie. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Spiderman, whatever. Each little fantasy world has a set of rules (different from the "real world") that the audience has to buy into. Violate those rules, and it breaks their ability to "suspend disbelief."
For example, in the neo-Star Wars suckfest, the "midichlorians" thing really bothered me, because it appeared to break the rules of what I viewed as the Force universe. It suddenly became a technical, genetic thing instead of a mystical, transcendent thing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #16
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Lady in the Water is a boil on the buttocks of Hollywood. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

M. Night Shymalan really lost it with that one.
The question isn't how did he lose you with that one, that goes without saying. The real question is how didn't he lose you with the Village. Another steaming pile of crap. Amazingly though Lady in the Water makes the Village look good.

I liked Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but he started getting worse with each movie after Unbreakable.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #17
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Pirates 2 was worse than 3. I remember wishing 2 was over while watching it, something I rarely do in the movie theater.

Three was bad, but at least it didn't drag that badly.

Plus, Keira Knightley is hot. That makes it better.

And speaking of trilogies:

Ocean's 11 is awesome. Ocean's 12 was craptastically craptastic. Ocean's 13 was better than 12, but not as good as 11.

X-men 1 was awesome. X-men 2 was better. X-men 3 was not as good as the other two, but still pretty good.

[/end mindless rant]
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:23 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids love all three of the Pirates films.

I've seen bits and pieces of the first and none of the others. I'd rather go on the ride at Disneyland and the security people that booted me and my friends out for derailing one of the little boats you ride in have to be retired now so I could go back.

We were told that we were banned. Happiest place my ass.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
The question isn't how did he lose you with that one, that goes without saying. The real question is how didn't he lose you with the Village. Another steaming pile of crap. Amazingly though Lady in the Water makes the Village look good.

I liked Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but he started getting worse with each movie after Unbreakable.
I agree. I'm not a fan of The Village.

I liked Sixth Sense and Signs....and was so-so on Unbreakable...but the rest indeed are steaming piles of poop.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked the first one and own the DVD, but thought the second one was stupid, so I didn't even bother with the third. Apparently I share the same sentiments with many of you fine brethren.

The only films I walked out of in the theater were Bugsy, and a re-showing of The Valley of the Dolls. Both were incredibly stupid. In French class at the U, I walked out of Queen Margot because I didn't care for the scenes of women being ravished and raped.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote