cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
It depends on the location of the camera and for what purposed the surveillance will be used. If the camera is placed in a public place that a police officer would have normal access to, I'm not that concerned. It's cheaper than paying a cop to stand on a street corner and look for bad guys.

That being said, I would only support the use of public cameras if the surveillance was used for national security. If they start using the cameras to issue tickets for jay-walking , then I have a problem with that.
the problem is the line keeps sliding. Once we get used to cameras to protect us from one thing, years later we're used to that and the purpose expands to something more. Now they have some with loudspeakers in Britain so they can tell people to pick up trash as they walk by and further emphasize to the populace that the government is watching them. This kind of attitude about government being above the people is why we had a revolution. Britain still has a monarchy, so by definition the government is above the people. It's not supposed to be like that here.

Last edited by BlueK; 07-03-2007 at 07:34 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote