cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I was just about to ask what you thought about Sanchez. Sounds like either way, you're fairly optimistic about the QB situation down there. Now if they could just recruit some athletes.
Well, of course I am concerned about the turnover, esp with OOC games against Virginia and Ohio State right off the bat.

But, I look at it this way....if you are going into a new QB situation, not bad having Mustain and Sanchez as your two horses.

Plus, SC's o-line will be fantastic again, so that helps, too. As you said, how many 3 and 4 stars do they have waiting to start?

Ultimately, my biggest faith is in PC. He and Sark will get it done.

It is tough for SC to maintain this momentum, but it has been a fun ride, esp after 20 years of mostly not being very good at all.

Fight On!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:45 AM   #12
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Palmer was replaced by ? Leinhart. Leinhart was replaced by ? booty. Now booty is being replaced by a much less ? imo in Sanchez. These guys were surrounded by such great athletes that it lessens the importance of the QB being dead on. I liked the fire and desire I saw in Sanchez is his time on the field. USC will be fine.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 AM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Palmer was replaced by ? Leinhart. Leinhart was replaced by ? booty. Now booty is being replaced by a much less ? imo in Sanchez. These guys were surrounded by such great athletes that it lessens the importance of the QB being dead on. I liked the fire and desire I saw in Sanchez is his time on the field. USC will be fine.
Exactly we are talking about a school that put a guy in that NFL that had 30 career pass attempts in college and now he is playing for the super bowl favorites (Matt Cassell)
Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 AM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
On the other hand, while it would suck, does it matter? Doesnt change much to go back 4 years ago. SC will still be pre-season #1 next year.
Oh, trust me, it matters to some of us. Boy, oh, boy, does it matter.

Does anyone else think it's not coincidence that Carroll is considering positions in the NFL? He is the single best coach in college FB. No matter what the Falcons offer, USC would match it. If he leaves, I'd wager he's caught wind that things could get ugly with the NCAA investigation.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Oh, trust me, it matters to some of us. Boy, oh, boy, does it matter.

Does anyone else think it's not coincidence that Carroll is considering positions in the NFL? He is the single best coach in college FB. No matter what the Falcons offer, USC would match it. If he leaves, I'd wager he's caught wind that things could get ugly with the NCAA investigation.
He gets job offers every off-season. Why is this any different. last year Huizinga flew him down to Costa rica on his private jet. This Falcons thing hasnt gone anywhere compared to last year's Dolphins meetings.

And Reggie has been under investigation for 3 years. this isnt new. why is this any different?

Yawn.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #16
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, of course I am concerned about the turnover, esp with OOC games against Virginia and Ohio State right off the bat.

But, I look at it this way....if you are going into a new QB situation, not bad having Mustain and Sanchez as your two horses.

Plus, SC's o-line will be fantastic again, so that helps, too. As you said, how many 3 and 4 stars do they have waiting to start?

Ultimately, my biggest faith is in PC. He and Sark will get it done.

It is tough for SC to maintain this momentum, but it has been a fun ride, esp after 20 years of mostly not being very good at all.

Fight On!
As someone who's been close to the program the last 5 years, I'll take a wait and see approch on the o-line for next year; Baker, Radovich, Spanos, Rachal and the top backup is gone. There's a lot of talent returning: O'Dowd, Byers and Butch Lewis. The question is will the 3 new guys get up to snuff by the UVA game?

I hope they open up the QB competition; if Mustain gets a fair go, he could beat Sanchez out.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #17
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
I hope they open up the QB competition; if Mustain gets a fair go, he could beat Sanchez out.
Under normal circumstances, my guess is that the job would be Sanchez's to lose, but I have to think that SC (very tempted to refer to the Trojans as "souther cal", btw) promised Mustain the opportunity to compete for the job in a fair race as a condition of his transferring there.

Does that theory hold any water?
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Under normal circumstances, my guess is that the job would be Sanchez's to lose, but I have to think that SC (very tempted to refer to the Trojans as "souther cal", btw) promised Mustain the opportunity to compete for the job in a fair race as a condition of his transferring there.

Does that theory hold any water?
It totally does. PC's policy is that the best play. Did you notice Joe McKnight, a freshman getting way more carries than Chauncey Washington, a Sr in his final game?

This is the only way he can keep recruiting so well....underclassmen really get to play if they are good. Rey Mauluga is another example. Cushing. Jarrett. reggie bush. The list goes on and on of Sophomores and sometimes freshman who get significant PT if they are good.

The best scenario for SC is that Mustain DOES challenge hard for the QB spot. I recall he was a pretty mobile QB during his stint at Arkansas, and that was with SEC defenses chasing him all over. Would be cool to see how much of that he has retained.

You can call it Southern California, SC, USC. Just not Southern Cal. I think it stems from not wanting to be associated with Cal up north.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
As someone who's been close to the program the last 5 years, I'll take a wait and see approch on the o-line for next year; Baker, Radovich, Spanos, Rachal and the top backup is gone. There's a lot of talent returning: O'Dowd, Byers and Butch Lewis. The question is will the 3 new guys get up to snuff by the UVA game?

Did Chilo confirm that he was declaring or simply that he was going to get projections? I thought he was still undecided. It would be great to have him back, but we did pretty well, surprisingly, while he was injured.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Did Chilo confirm that he was declaring or simply that he was going to get projections? I thought he was still undecided. It would be great to have him back, but we did pretty well, surprisingly, while he was injured.
On Sunday, the guy I know said he was gone, he may change his mind though. You would think that after seeing what happened to Fred Matua, that he would learn his lesson.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote