cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #31
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Dang you have a good deal on rent. If I take the internship in Costa Mesa next summer, and you decide to move to San Diego, we can swap places.
That's because I'm a tightwad and I share a room, it's still $500/month, so saying that the flight home is a months rent can be a bit of an exaggeration. Although I have driven home a few times because the tickets were almost that much...at least by the time I got around to trying to buy one.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Dang you have a good deal on rent. If I take the internship in Costa Mesa next summer, and you decide to move to San Diego, we can swap places.
Only if you marry BDB's roommate.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #33
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
"Our plans have been made. There is nothing more to discuss." And then change the subject.
Marsupial is a wise woman ... I have said something to that effect many times!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #34
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Only if you marry BDB's roommate.
Well the current room roommate is really pretty, really nice, and getting married next week. The new roommate is a Marine I think...so this may be very, very interesting. I bet she won't think it's weird if I follow through with my threats to mount a pull-up bar in the bathroom door frame.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #35
Black Diamond Bay

No, and even if she were that wouldn't help you, because I cleaned all of my information off, took my pictures down, and placed my account on inactive status.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:50 PM   #36
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Ummm...try being single and trying it blow it by your mother that you're not interested in spending the money and using the pto that it will take to come home for Christmas this year. Long, long, long pause on the other end of the phone. There's just nothing for me at home anymore. My older sister, older brother, and now my younger sister will all be doing things with their spouses, and/or in another state with in-laws, so that leaves me at home with my little brothers...I love them too but, I'm not going to pay a months rent to fly home for that. Especially when I'm already flying home to spend three days with them over Thanksgiving, and I'm going to be home for three days for a wedding next week. My parents don't argue the point, instead they'll wait until next weekend when I'm there in person and then try and guilt me into coming.

And as far as never doing anything right. You have no idea, I am the third oldest and come behind two of the biggest overacheivers out there. I literally cannot have a conversation with my mother without hearing "well your older sister..." It's always been like that. Every parent teacher conference was "Mr. so and so didn't even realize that you were related to your older brother and sister..." or the favorite: "Mr. so and so is really disappointed in your performance in his class, he already had your brother and sister, and he expected more from you..." Now it's just all about how much better off I would be if I could just be my older sister. Don't get me wrong, their probably right, she is amazing. I'm just not her, and I consistently fail to meet expectations. I talked to them about going to law school, and I'm not sure where on the list I should start of all the reasons why I shouldn't do it, or that I can't do it, or that it would be the wrong thing to do.

All that aside, my parents love me, and they do wants what's best for me. They're controlling, they even openly admit that they are. So sometimes it's best to just let it all roll off, thank them for sharing their opinion, and move on like the conversation never even took place.
Got you beat with the third oldest sad story BDB ... My oldest brother is a Dr., next oldest a lawyer, younger sister a nurse and a credit away from a masters in poly sci and youngest brother is in hospital admin.

I'm an artist and I live in Canada
Old 11-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #37
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Got you beat with the third oldest sad story BDB ... My oldest brother is a Dr., next oldest a lawyer, younger sister a nurse and a credit away from a masters in poly sci and youngest is in hospital admin.

Awesome, you probably have half the stress in your life than any of them do.

I actually don't think it's a sad story, and I wouldn't change my brother or sister if I could, but I also wouldn't be them if I could. It is sort of irritating to be compared, there's no getting around that. It's just the way it is, and I'll never be able to change that, so the advice my parents offer that suggests that I need to be a different person, I disregard it. Other times they are very insightful, and offer really good advice, and I will listen to that, and usually do my best to follow it.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #38
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Awesome, you probably have half the stress in your life than any of them do.

I actually don't think it's a sad story, and I wouldn't change my brother or sister if I could, but I also wouldn't be them if I could. It is sort of irritating to be compared, there's no getting around that. It's just the way it is, and I'll never be able to change that, so the advice my parents offer that suggests that I need to be a different person, I disregard it. Other times they are very insightful, and offer really good advice, and I will listen to that, and usually do my best to follow it.
My Dad used to tell me to join the Postal Service
Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #39
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Got you beat with the third oldest sad story BDB ... My oldest brother is a Dr., next oldest a lawyer, younger sister a nurse and a credit away from a masters in poly sci and youngest brother is in hospital admin.

But they are all Utes.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #40
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
My Dad used to tell me to join the Postal Service
lol...my mom has made the same suggestion, until I reminded her that I'm terrified of strange dogs, and that I have too much pride to ever work in the post office where people I know would see me.