cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 05:16 AM   #41
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
That is quite a long gap between Jesus and the gospls.

A FORTY YEAR GAP.
You appear to doubt what the enlightenment of the holy spirit can do.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:49 AM   #42
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
It's one thing to admit that you don't know something. It's quite another to say that since you don't know, neither do I; and furthermore, I can't know and will never know.

And no, I didn't miss the implied tongue-in-cheek. Nor have any of us failed to notice the self-evident head-up-ass.
If you can present a non-circular explanation why you know the BOM is true, then I will call it a day.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #43
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
Quote:
That is quite a long gap between Jesus and the gospls.

A FORTY YEAR GAP.
You appear to doubt what the enlightenment of the holy spirit can do.
Maybe they looked into a cap or something. Maybe they had a +3 Magic Stone of Tongues, or a +2 Sword of Laban, or +3 Liahona of Divination.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:45 AM   #44
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Talmage
Judas Iscariot is the only Judean named among the Twelve; all the others were Galileans. . . . He served as treasurer or agent of the apostolic company, receiving and disbursing such offerings as were made by disciples and friends, and purchasing supplies as required. (James E. Talmage, Jesus the Christ, Ch.16, Pg.225)
Sounds like Judas was their version of a Ward Clerk. I'm a Ward Clerk. I wonder if that means anything.

:?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #45
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Quote:
It's one thing to admit that you don't know something. It's quite another to say that since you don't know, neither do I; and furthermore, I can't know and will never know.

And no, I didn't miss the implied tongue-in-cheek. Nor have any of us failed to notice the self-evident head-up-ass.
If you can present a non-circular explanation why you know the BOM is true, then I will call it a day.
What could possibly satisfy your urge for "non-cyclical" evidence?

The lists of names with verifiable ancient origin, along with placenames that have been shown to be in the exact location predicted by the Book of Mormon?

The complicated history of three peoples interwoven into one narrative, intermingled with complex, detailed theology, dictated while sticking his head in a hat?

Detailed elaboration on customs and practices of ancient people described decades before their discovery?

Eight eye-witnesses who proclaimed to the world that they saw and felt the gold plates, and never denied their testimonies?

The three witnesses who not only saw the plates and other artifacts, but saw an angel and heard the voice of God proclaim its truth, who not only never denied their testimonies but reaffirmed the literal veracity of their statements with their dying breath?

You will surely point out that every one of these arguments is debatable (though few ever debate them). But that ultimately is not the problem with the Book of Mormon. The root of the matter is that you have already made up your mind and you will not accept any further evidence. I would just as soon try to convince a wall than you.

The fact is, either you're right and by arguing I am doing nothing but kicking against the pricks, or I am right and you are nothing but a screaming and kicking prick. Either way, I'm not going to waste my time.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #46
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What could possibly satisfy your urge for "non-cyclical" evidence?

The lists of names with verifiable ancient origin, along with placenames that have been shown to be in the exact location predicted by the Book of Mormon?

The complicated history of three peoples interwoven into one narrative, intermingled with complex, detailed theology, dictated while sticking his head in a hat?

Detailed elaboration on customs and practices of ancient people described decades before their discovery?

Eight eye-witnesses who proclaimed to the world that they saw and felt the gold plates, and never denied their testimonies?

The three witnesses who not only saw the plates and other artifacts, but saw an angel and heard the voice of God proclaim its truth, who not only never denied their testimonies but reaffirmed the literal veracity of their statements with their dying breath?

You will surely point out that every one of these arguments is debatable (though few ever debate them). But that ultimately is not the problem with the Book of Mormon. The root of the matter is that you have already made up your mind and you will not accept any further evidence. I would just as soon try to convince a wall than you.

The fact is, either you're right and by arguing I am doing nothing but kicking against the pricks, or I am right and you are nothing but a screaming and kicking prick. Either way, I'm not going to waste my time.
I'll try to illustrate what I think Robin means by "non-circular": Your point is that the Book of Mormon must certainly be what Joseph Smith claims it was. As a predicate for this point you assume that the Book of Mormon is a brilliant, magisterial work of literature that no mortal could have created by the arm of flesh, certainly no mortal of Joseph Smith's limited education and experience. But your predicate is very much subject to dispute. For example, Mark Twain--no less than the man many regard as having written the greatest novel ever written by an American, Huckleberry Finn--called the Book of Mormon "chloroform in print." Another random example: Harold Bloom has called Joseph Smith "a religious genius," but regards the Book of Mormon as "prosaic." I am still waiting for somebody intimate with the indubitable great works of Western Civilization to tell me that the Book of Mormon stands on similar footing with these works. In my personal opinion, it does not. In fact, this argument for veracity of the Book of Mormon is one of my pet peeves, I'll confess.

As for the witnesses, I'll quote Twain again: "I could not feel more satisfied and at rest if the entire Whitmer family had testified."

Ultimately a belief in the Book of Mormon must rest only on faith, not in any way reason. Robin should respect your faith unless you try to use reason to convince him you are right.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #47
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I never claimed the Book of Mormon was great literature. It was never meant to be. As a matter of fact, I find the prose to be somewhat drab. The significance of the Book of Mormon lies elsewhere.

Nor did I ever claim the existing evidence was non-debatable. I did claim that a), valid evidence does exist, and b), it would be just as inappropriate for me to say that Robin should conform to my understanding of the book as it is for Robin to expect me to conform to his understanding.

He's not asking for "non-circular" evidence, irrespective of the words he uses to pose the question. He's looking for indisputable evidence, ignoring the fact that there never has been a fact that was not disputed. As long as he has decided that something is so, and refuses to be convinced otherwise, there is no point in trying. Same goes for us.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The Book of Mormon is to valued by spiritual eyes and a spiritual mind.

Its value is not to be understood through literary criticism.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #49
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
The Book of Mormon is to valued by spiritual eyes and a spiritual mind.

Its value is not to be understood through literary criticism.
Okay, so now I know. God is prosaic. I'm crushed.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #50
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Or the voice of the people through which he speaks are prosaic.

Stephen Hawking believes the mind of God is one big, math equation. I sure hope not, as I no longer understand those equations, if I ever did.

I imagine God's utterances are more sublime, more surreal. Perhaps I have no idea.

The BOM as a literary piece is not too remarkable. As a spiritual witness, it is amazing and beyond comparison.